Tissue paper flowers are easy to make and beautiful at the same time. You can use these as party decorations or as home decorations. You can make it in different colors and sizes. If a friend is allergic to real flowers, tissue paper flowers are a great alternative.
Here are some ways that you can use tissue paper flowers:
- Tie them to the back of chairs as accents.
- Tie a flower to a wrapped gift instead of the usual ribbons or bows.
- Arrange in a basket or bowl as a centerpiece.
- Place in a vase.
- Hang from the ceiling for parties.
- Use red and green flowers to decorate the Christmas Tree instead of using balls.
The most basic materials needed in making tissue paper flowers are:
- Tissue paper in one or more colors - these can be found in the cards and gift wrapping section of most stores; comes in a pack of 8.
- Pair of scissors
- Twisty ties, floral wire or green pipe cleaner
Most kids are taught how to make this type of paper decoration in arts and crafts class. If you don’t remember how to make a tissue paper flower, just follow these steps:
- Unfold and cut the first sheet according to the size of flower you want. You can use one whole sheet for a large flower. Cut more sheets of tissue paper until you have around 6 -8 sheets. These can be in one or more colors.
- Take the sheets and put them one on top of the other. Align the corners.
- Fold the group of tissue papers accordion or fan style. Starting from one side, fold it over between ½” to 1” wide. Then, taking the first fold, fold it over backwards. When you open the folds, the tissue paper should look like a fan.
- Round out the edges of the petals. Use a pair of scissors to cut the edges in a rounded shape. You can also cut a small slit in the middle of each petal to make the flower look like a Dahlia.
- Get a twisty tie, floral wire or green pipe cleaner. Tie this to the middle of the folded tissue papers. Use short ties if the flowers will be put on the table or in a basket. Otherwise, use longer ties if you will be tying several flowers together or placing them in a vase.
- Open the tissue paper flower by separating the tissue layers carefully. Tissue paper is fragile so be careful not to rip it. Separate the right side and the left side by pulling each piece of paper towards the center. This will make the flower shape more evident.
- Fluff the flowers to make them more rounded and flower like.
- Display and arrange the flowers.
If you want to make the center of the tissue paper flower a different color, make 2 of the layers a different color. Put these two sheets on the top of the pile. Or you can choose to alternate colors for a more vibrant flower.
Tissue paper flowers are fun and easy to make. You don’t need complicated tools to come up with beautiful flowers. They are inexpensive too. In just a matter of minutes, you can create floral decorations for your home or a party. Have fun in making tissue paper flowers by combining colors and making different sizes. Involve your family or friends in this simple, but enjoyable paper craft.