Plastic toys for children can have elements that may harm your child. The best solution for this is to purchase eco-friendly toys so that you are sure of your child’s safety. There are a lot of toys that are made out of cotton, cloth or wood. These are the ones that are safe for your child to play with. You do not even have to purchase these toys from the toy store. You can make your own toy for your child!
One of the most popular wooden toys is the wooden toy snake. Even if this snake is made of wood, it will move as fluidly as a snake does. Having wooden animal toys will increase your child’s imagination and at the same time help the environment.
Here are the steps on how you can make your own wooden snake toy:
1. Gather the materials you need. Gather all the materials that you need for this project before starting. By doing this, it will be easier for you to create the toy as all the items that you need are within reach. The items that you need are:
- Wooden dowel (cylindrical piece of wood)
- Wood glue
- Eye hooks
2. Section and prepare the dowel. Use the saw to cut the dowel into several pieces. These are going to be the segments of the snake. Cut the dowel into about one inch pieces. You can increase or decrease this measurement as you wish. You can also make different sized pieces that you can alternate when you create the wooden snake. After you have cut the pieces, use the sandpaper to smoothen the edges on the segments.
3. Carve tail and head. Get two pieces from the segments that you are going to make the head and the tail of the snake. Use the knife to carve a snake head on one of the pieces. On the second segment that you have, carve the tail of the snake.
4. Drill holes on segments. The next thing you have to do is to drill holes on the segments of the snake. Remember that you will only have to drill one hole on the head and the tail that you carved earlier. Use the drill for this. Be careful not to drill all the way through the block of wood. You only have to drill about one-fourth of an inch deep.
5. Attach segments together. Once you have drilled holes, get the wood glue and put a small amount on the holes. Attach eye hooks on the holes, one end on one segment and another on a second segment. By the time you finish all the segments, you will come up with the snake.
6. Finishing the snake. When the wood glue has already dried, you can start decorating the snake. Use the paint that you have and paint the snake on any color or pattern that you want. You can use the beads for the eyes of the snake or to make other decorations on the body.
These are the simple steps on how you can make your own wooden snake for your child. Remember to let all the glue and paint to completely dry before you give the toy to your child.