You can purchase a train whistle toy for your child in a toy store. These usually come in different colors that you can choose from. They also come at a price. If you want to buy your child a wooden train whistle, you may want to think twice. It is easier and cheaper if you make one! It takes only a few hours to create a wooden train whistle. Here are the steps that you can follow to make this toy:
- Gather all materials needed. First, gather all the materials that you need for the project. These are blocks of wood (ash), a dowel, wood glue, sand paper, pencil, saw, ruler and an electric drill. You can buy the wood and dowel from your local craft store or from a lumber yard. Also, check your garage. You might have pieces of wood lying around that you can use for this project.
- Preparing the wood. First, get the block of ash wood. You can use a clamp for this so that you can drill into the wood easier. Use the ruler to get the center of the wood block. Mark the center with a pencil.
- Drilling the wood. The next step is to drill portions of the wood to create the whistle. First, drill on the mark that you did on the center of the block. Drill until you reach about four inches into the wood. Use the saw to cut one end of the block but make sure that you do not cut all the way through. From the point where you stopped, cut 90 degrees. Use your pencil and from the 90 degree cut, mark a diagonal line that will result in a 45 degree angle. Use the saw and cut on the marked line that you made.
- Sand the wood. After you made all the cuts, the next step is to sand the wood so that it will be smooth. Do this until you are sure that there are no sharp ends or wood particles sticking out of the wood.
- Cut the dowel. Get the wood dowel and cut it about half and inch in length. On the end of the dowel, measure about three-eights of an inch and cut the dowel there with your knife but not all the way through. Sand these parts too.
- Glue the parts together. When you are ready with the wood that you created earlier and the dowel, you can put the block of wood in the whistle hole. Apply wood glue so that the parts connect to each other. Wait for the glue to dry before you start to use the whistle.
These are the steps on how you can make your own wooden train whistle. You can paint the whistle in any color you want. You can also adjust the pitch of the whistle by adjusting the length where you put the cuts on the wood. Create about three to four wood whistles so that you can play together with your child.