A scarf is a fashionable item that can keep you warm during the cold weather. Knitted scarves are one of the easiest things you can learn to do. All you have to do is to have basic knitting skills and you can already make your own scarf in the color of your choice. This is definitely cheaper that purchasing scarves from department stores or clothing stores as they usually sell overprices scarves.
Here are the steps on how you can make your own yarn scarf:
1. Get all the materials you need. In making a yarn scarf, you will need the following materials:
- Knitting needles
- Your choice of yarn
- Knitting book
You can purchase these materials from your local arts and crafts store. There are different types of knitting needles and yarn. You may need to consult with someone from the store to help you pick out the best yarn and knitting needles for your yarn scarf project.
2. Study knitting book. If you do not have basic knowledge on how to knit, you first have to study your knitting book so that you can be familiar with the basic knitting process. Even if you do not know advanced knitting, you will still be able to make your own yarn scarf. You can also research on the Internet on basic knitting if you do not have a book.
3. Practice. Before you start working on your yarn scarf, you need to practice first so that you can get your knots equal. You do not want to have a scarf that has loose knots or knots that are too tight. When you practice, you should observe what you are doing so that you can come up with the best scarf.
4. Know the measurements. Know the measurement of the scarf that you want to make. You might want to make it as long as a scarf that you already have. Also know the width of the scarf that you will be doing.
5. Knit the scarf. You can start knitting the first row of your scarf. When you have achieved the width that you want, do the second row. Do this until you already have your desired length of scarf. When you have reached the end of the scarf, knot the yarn tightly. You can add fringes to the ends of the scarf if you want.
These are the basic steps that you have to do so that you can make your own yarn scarf. Practice makes perfect. You may have to do several scarves before you come up with a perfect one. When you already master the basic knitting, you can read on more advanced knitting techniques. You will eventually learn how to knit scarves with alternate colors and even designs. You can look for tutorials for advanced knitting online.
Another thing you can do is create other accessories and pieces of clothing, such as hats, gloves, cardigans and more. You can get free patterns on the website knittingpatterncentral.com.