Your child can’t be a baby forever. Give it a few months and you’ll find yourself holding a toddler. Time flies so fast. Soon your baby is already a teenager. So now while your child is still small and easy to cuddle, make a beautiful memory. Imprint your baby’s hand and foot. You can use clay to get your baby’s imprints. Make something that will always let you remember your child’s baby days. This is a good way to preserve happy memories. Make one that will surely make you go down the memory lane whenever you see it.
Here are the steps on how to make clay for your baby’s hand and footprints:
1. Prepare the materials you need. Here is the list of what you need to gather for this clay making project:
- Baking soda
- Large plastic margarine container
- Measuring cup
- Medium-sized saucepan
2. Prepare the water for boiling. Fill the medium-sized saucepan with ¾ cups of water. Then add 1 teaspoon of salt. Turn on the stove. Turn the heat on high to make the water boil.
3. Let the mixture thicken. Lower down the fire. Continue stirring the mixture in the saucepan. Stir until the mixture becomes thick and hard to mix. Turn off the stove.
4. Let the mixture cool down. Set the saucepan of clay aside. Wait until the mixture is cool enough to touch. Then knead the clay for a few minutes.
5. Make your baby’s prints. Place the clay in the large plastic container. Flatten it out evenly. Then let your baby press his/her hand and foot firmly into the clay. Clean your baby’s hand and foot after imprinting.
6. Design the clay. Put lovely designs all over the imprints if you like. You can press in buttons, rocks, beads, marbles, etc. You can use just about anything for the design. You can also poke the clay with a toothpick to form your child’s name.
7. Let the clay dry. Leave the imprinted clay in the container to dry. Set it aside for a few days. Wait until it is already hard before you take it out of the container.
This project is a good contribution to your baby’s memorabilia. Frame the clay or wrap it with a plastic cover. Then hang your baby’s clay imprints together with your child’s pictures on the wall. You can even make several imprints to fill a whole wall with these cute hands and feet. This could be a great gift to give to your parents and in-laws. Grandparents just love receiving remembrances of their grandchild. So make the oldies and give them your baby’s hand and footprint. They will surely love your gift!