One way to get rid of stuff that you no longer need and get a new item in return is by recycling your items. A project that you can do is to make coin purses out of some old socks that you no longer use or that you are ready to discard. These coin purses are also wonderfully cheap gift items that you can give as giveaways or keepsakes for your friends. All you need are a few items from the craft store.
Here are the simple instructions that you can follow in order to make a coin purse out of your old socks:
- Materials. The materials that you will need are a ruler, scissors, some lace, old socks, needle and thread, appliqués and other decorative materials that you want to use for your coin purse. You can get these materials from the craft store or you may have most of them at home.
- Preparing the socks. Lay down your socks on a table. Create flaps on your socks by cutting down the sides of the sock. When you have done this, you will end up with a sock that has a flap. One flap will be for the cover of the coin purse.
- Making the coin purse. Now you can sew on the lace trims and other items that you want to use as embellishments for the socks. You can use a button as the lock for the purse. Make a loop with thread and make sure that it fits around the button so that you can close the coin purse securely.
- Embellishments. After you have made the main coin purse, you can decorate it with the other items that you have. You can sew on laces on the edges of the socks or add more buttons and appliqués to make the coin purse appear more attractive. Now you have your very own coin purse made from old socks!
- Alternative. Another alternative that you can do is to do a coin purse that you can carry around as a bag. This way, you can wear your coin purse around your neck. All you have to do is to get a piece of ribbon that you want as the strap for your coin purse. Sew on the ribbon on each of the edges of the coin purse sock so that you can come up with a coin purse bag. Just make sure that you sew on the strap securely so that you are sure that the strap is strong enough to support the weight of the coins the will be put inside the coin purse.
These are the simple steps on how you can make coin purses out of some old socks that you have. These are only some of the ideas that you can do to recycle the old items that you have. It is advisable to work with socks that are thick so that it can carry more coins without ripping apart.