Dollhouses are not only for little girls. Creating and maintaining a dollhouse is an interesting hobby for women of all ages. They are cute and interesting to look at. There are inexpensive dollhouses made of plastic materials. But there are also dollhouses and miniature furniture for the serious collector that can fetch a high price.
You can change the look of your dollhouse by creating curtains with different colors and patterns. Not only are the curtains made of fabric, they can also be made of other materials like paper.
No-Sew Paper Curtains
If you are not adept at sewing, don’t worry, you can still make curtains for your dollhouse. Paper curtains are inexpensive and simple to make. You can use plain white paper printed with a graphic or pattern. A better alternative is using beautiful scrapbook paper. Bamboo skewers, scissors, sand paper and glue complete your list of materials.
- Measure the width of the window. Cut the paper to about 1 ½ times the width. This will make the curtain look fuller.
- Cut the paper according to the length of the window.
- Hold one side of the paper and make pleats from left to right just like in making paper fans. Make sure the folds are even.
- Prepare the curtain rod. Using the width of the window as the basis, cut the bamboo skewer slightly longer than the window’s width. Sand the rough ends of the skewer with sand paper. Optional: to add color, paint or stain the skewer.
- Glue the pleated paper curtain to the rod. Apply the glue on the rod itself then attach the curtain. You may need to weigh the curtain down a bit so it can adhere to the rod. Once the glue dries, hang the curtain.
A more elegant type of dollhouse curtain is one made of fabric. You have to possess some sewing skills to make this type of curtain. The materials needed are:
- Needle and thread
- Straight pins
- Paper and pencil
- Self-adhesive dots (Velcro type)
- Hot glue
- Make a paper pattern by measuring the width and length of the window. Add a ¼” allowance for the hem on all sides.
- Cut the fabric based on the paper pattern.
- Sew a double hem of about 1/8” on all sides of the fabric. Before sewing the hem, make sure to iron it first.
- If you want pleats on the curtain, pin the top to a cardboard. Make pleats starting from one side going towards the opposite side. So that the pleats stay, pin each one to the cardboard then spray the pleats with hairspray. Allow this to dry.
- Attach the loop side of the Velcro dots to the top and back side of the fabric curtain using hot glue. Attach the hook side of the dots to the top of the windowpane. Make sure that the dots are arranged at equal distances along the window and the curtain.
- Attach the hook and loop sides of the Velcro dots.
Curtains in a dollhouse add a certain charm. It is a great way of sprucing up an otherwise dull dollhouse. Dollhouse curtains are not difficult to make especially the ones made of paper. You can make your own curtains as luxurious or as inexpensive as you want them to be. All you need are the materials for creating dollhouse curtains and a little bit of craft skills.