Minimizing your clutter is necessary, most especially if you are living in a confined space. If you have a lot of things to organize, and yet you do not want to spend hundreds of dollars for permanent storage bins or expensive plastic and wooden boxes, you can create your own storage boxes or storage containers using old cardboard. Creating storage boxes is simple and very affordable. You will not only save money, but you will help contribute to the betterment of the environment as well. Here is the useful step-by-step guide on how to make decorative storage boxes.
- First, prepare the materials you will need: old cardboard boxes, old gift wrappers, glue, glue gun, cutter/knife, ruler, pencil, cutting pad, ribbons, beads/sequins, and buttons.
- Collect all the old cardboard boxes that you can find in your home. You can use cardboard boxes that come in different sizes and shapes.
- Collect all old gift wrappers, magazines or newspapers in your home. If you do not have any old wrappers, you can buy cheap specialty papers at your favorite arts and crafts shop. Collect different colors and designs, as many as you can so you can have a wide range of options to choose from.
- Get your pencil and ruler and draw squares on your cardboard box. After measuring the size, get your cutter or knife, then cut the squares carefully.
- Start attaching them together using glue. Begin with the base and back section. Once you have glued the back section and base, get the other cut-out cardboard boxes and start attaching the side sections into the back section and base.
- Let the cardboard boxes dry for a while, then begin placing the dividers. This is optional. If you are planning to use them as file storage, then place dividers using the glue and let dry for an hour or so.
- Then measure the size of the gift wrapper, magazine or newspaper. It should be larger than your storage box so you can modify, just in case.
- Wrap your cardboard box using the wrapper of your choice and attach it with glue. Make sure to spread the glue equally and finely to avoid bubbles from occurring.
- Decorate your storage box using beads, buttons, ribbons or any decorative material that you can find in your home. Attach the beads, buttons or ribbons using the glue.
To keep books, mail, office supplies, toys and important files, you don’t necessarily need to buy expensive storage plastic boxes or moving storage boxes to store all your things. Why? Because you can create your own decorative storage boxes using scrap materials that you can find in your home. It will not only help you to save a lot of money, but it will also help to save Mother Earth. Gather and recycle scrap materials and start making your storage boxes in style.