You don’t have to be rich to have the latest jewelry and accessories. Indeed, looking cool, hip, and fierce doesn’t mean designer labels from head to toe, you just have to dig deep into your creativity and resourcefulness to make people exclaim “Wow, where’d you get those? They look so good on you!”
The same goes for jewelry. You can actually make pairs of earring out of buttons. Yup, any kind of button will do. Just think out of the box and follow these step-by-step instructions on how to make earrings out of buttons.
Buttons using clip-on earrings as your base
You will need to have the following materials:
- Buttons that you like to turn into a pair of earrings. These could be store-bought or something that you have in your sewing kit or in stock at home.
- Sturdy craft scissor
- 2 pieces Emery boards or nail files
- Clear glue
- Glue gun
- Aluminum foil
- Clip-on earrings – the base part that will hold these buttons
- Candle (optional)
- Take a button and look at its back. Do you see a tiny nub at the back of the button? That part is where you usually run a thread through for sewing. You will have to remove this by using your craft scissor. Take your scissor and cut this off. Be careful handling the scissor so you won’t hurt yourself.
- (Optional) You can run this tiny nub through a lit candle for a couple of seconds to soften it if you prefer. Do this with caution so the nub or the button won’t run the risk of scalding. Do not do this if your button is covered with any type of fabric.
- Once you’re done, take your Emery board and file this area flat.
- Now take a square of aluminum foil and crumple it to form a loose ball.
- Take the clip-on earring base, lay this on the loosely-balled aluminum foil and then proceed to apply glue on its surface.
- Let it settle for about a minute.
- After a minute has passed, take your button, apply glue on its back and proceed to press it down firmly on the clip-on earring base.
- Let your button earring dry.
- While it’s drying, you can repeat the entire process on the other piece.
Buttons and hoop earrings combo:
This is where your creativity can really go wild. This is a very easy way of changing the look of your earrings in a hoop and a snap.
You will need the following:
- A pair of hoop earrings preferably in sterling silver and with the thinnest hoop available
- Multi-colored buttons with multiple holes
How to do it:
- Take a hoop earring and thread the hoop through the hole of each button. You simply have to determine which button hole is positioned best for the look you want to accomplish, however, choosing a hole closest to the edge of the button is your best bet for this to look dangly all the way through.
- Now, take a couple or more buttons and do the same until you are satisfied that you have enough buttons on the hoop earring.
- When you’re done with half of the pair, you can repeat the simple process on its other half.
Now you’ve just made something unique and stylish without too much effort and money.