Organizing a huge or intimate party takes organizational skill and a savvy eye for detail. When it comes to seating arrangements, grouping the perfect mix of strangers at one table can be a test of your consummate skill, but what if someone insists on staying put at a table that is not meant for him? The answer is elegant place holders.
Place holders like votive candles and fresh flower arrangements make any table look classy, elegant and nostalgic in a very good way. It also makes people stay where they are.
It doesn’t matter if it’s an intimate sit-down dinner for 10 or a big buffet blowout for 50 or more, when throwing a party, it’s a must to create elegant place holders for your guests.
Champagne Flute Glasses, Roses, and Cards:
A champagne flute glass is a stem glass with a tall, narrow neck. This is perfect for an elegant place holder.
Aside from your champagne flute glass, you will need:
- Fresh roses or flowers from your garden
- Gardening scissors
- Purified water
- Laptop to print your guests names
- Recyclable paper
Here’s what you need to do:
- Clean the wineglasses that you will need as a placeholder. Clean until they’re sparkling. Hold them up to the light to check for smudges or hard water residue. If you find any, simply wipe it away using a soft cloth.
- Using your laptop, type your guest's names and print them out using recyclable paper. Cut the names out and use your puncher to punch holes on the side of the name cards. Run a string though the hole and tie this around the body or neck of the champagne flute glass.
- Now arrange your fresh flowers and cut the stems enough to fit into your champagne flute glasses.
- Fill your champagne flute glasses with purified water. Add a teaspoon of sugar.
- Place your roses in the water.
- Set each champagne flute glass on the designated seating placements of your guests.
Wine Corks and Vintage Cards
Earlier, we used champagne flute glasses. Since we are on the subject of champagne and you know no party is complete without it, why not use wine corks as a quirky take on elegant place holders?
You will need:
- Used whole wine corks – Vintage-looking ones are the best!
- Razor blade
- Blank vintage-looking place cards
- A block of wood
Here’s what you need to do:
- Cover the block of wood with sandpaper and begin to sand the bottom of the cork until it has a smooth flat bottom. This is done so that the cork won’t roll off the table.
- Now take your blade and very carefully and deftly slice the top portion neatly to accommodate your place card. Do not slice straight through. Just a small grooved portion will suffice. Be careful not to nick your fingers.
- Now take your vintage-looking place cards and write your guest's name on each card.
- Slip the place cards through the groove of the cork, place it on top of your dinner plates and you are done!
TIP: You can also use this place card for your wine or food list! Fabulous, isn’t it?