Paper fans are easy and fun to make, and are very useful especially during the summer. Paper fans can also be used as decoration in the home to give it an oriental look. To make folded paper fans, you will need the following materials:
- Colored construction paper, or printed gift wrappers
- Popsicle sticks (optional)
- Decide on the size of your paper fan. Cut the colored construction paper into your desired size. Place the paper into a landscape orientation, and draw vertical lines one inch apart starting from the left edge of the paper using the ruler and pencil. If you prefer a finer fold, you can decrease the distance between the vertical lines. These lines will serve as your guide when folding the paper.
- Fold the edge of the paper following the line, then flip the paper and continue folding, this time on the opposite side. Continue folding through each line, flipping the paper alternately. Make sure the folds are even.
- After you have completely folded the colored construction paper, hold the bottom part together with glue, or you may use a staple wire. After the bottom end has been secured, you may put popsicle sticks on both edges of the folded paper, and secure it with glue. You may opt to leave the edges bare, but having popsicles at the edges will make the folded paper fan sturdier.
- Another way to finish a folded paper fan is to fold it in half, crosswise, while it is still “closed”, in such a way that the top and bottom edges are touching, and the folded portion now becomes the bottom part of the fan. Glue the inner edges together and make sure it is secure before you open the fan. You may also put popsicle sticks at the outer edges of the fan to make it sturdy.
- You may now open your paper fan and add some decoration on it. You may glue some small cut out pictures and shapes on the folded paper fan to give it a unique design. Your designs may vary depending on the occasion. If you will use the folded paper fan as one of the props for a theater production, bright colored construction paper should be used, and some glitters or sequins will make it shimmer under the spotlight. If you will use the paper fan outdoors during the day, a laid back color will look good and inconspicuous.
You can also make tiny folded paper fans and place it on your walls as decorations. You may vary the colors according to the season and occasion. Red and green folded paper fans with gold or silver glitter can be used as Christmas decors, while paper printed with floral designs can be made into folded paper fans and placed around the house during spring and summer. You can also make use of folded paper fans as a souvenir during special occasions such as baptisms, birthdays and going away parties. You can write messages on each fold and make it even more personalized.