Ivory is taken from the tusks of animals, such as mammoths, elephants, walruses and hippopotamuses. Ivory is a material that has many purposes. It can be used to create piano keys, bagpipes, billiard balls, figurines, sculptures and more. A lot of synthetic ivory is used nowadays, because some countries prohibit the selling of ivory. You can make your own faux ivory so that you can have accessories or sculptures that appear to be made from real ivory.
Here are the steps on how you can make faux ivory:
- Materials. The materials that you will need are white polymer clay, translucent polymer clay, yellow polymer clay, tan polymer clay, a baking dish, a knitting needle and an oven. You can purchase the polymer clay from your local art supply store. You can combine the colors so that you can form a realistic looking ivory.
- Knead the clay. The first thing you have to do is to knead the clay so that it can be easier for you to mold the clay into the shape you want. You can choose to make pottery, beads for a necklace, a letter opener, or a figurine.
- Technique. You can combine a little bit of the tan and yellow clay with the white and translucent clay so that you can create an ivory piece. The more yellow or tan you add to the white, the more it will look aged. The translucent clay will turn translucent when you bake it. Roll the clay into the shape you want, and add the yellow and tan color little by little so that you can control the color of the ivory.
- Ideas. You can create small ivory teeth to use as necklace beads, or you can create a small hand carved sculpture by using the knitting needle to carve designs on the clay. You can recreate sculptures and figures from designers and use them as inspiration for your own ivory sculpture.
- Bake. Once you are ready with your ivory, you have to bake it in the oven. Place the clay on the baking dish and bake it in the oven. Follow the temperature on the instructions that came with the polymer clay.
- Sand. After baking, you can wet sand the faux ivory so that it has a smooth finish. You can coat the ivory with varnish so that it will have a glossier look.
These are the steps on how you can make your own ivory. There is also other faux ivory sold in the market. The material typically used is porcelain, but it has an ivory finish. There are a lot of products that are made out of ivory. Some of these include chess sets, display items, jewelry, figurines and more. You can get real ivory from ivory auctions. Real ivory can be expensive, as it is not a material that is easy to come by. It is better to use faux ivory so that you can support the protest against poaching animals to get ivory.