A mitten is a type of glove which protects our hands, including the fingers, from different things - usually the cold. Mittens are popular as ever, especially during cold weather. Mothers usually make these kinds of gloves for their toddlers using yarn. Men's mittens are also available but these are made to fit the personality of the man wearing them. The color can be black, green or even blue depending on the preference. If you are a stay-at-home mom and you'd like to do something crafty to help get ready for winter, then creating mittens is definitely a great idea.
Creating mittens that are knitted can be compared to making knitted socks. They are definitely easy to make and the project can be completed in a short period of time. They are also economical and convenient; that's why they are perfect gifts. The size and fit can be altered or can be personalized, depending on the recipient.
If you want to start knitting today, here are a few general guidelines for you to follow:
- Make sure that you know the basics of knitting.
- You have to know your tools. You will need a pair of knitting needles. You can choose between bamboo and metal.
- After you have chosen your needle, you will now choose your yarn. There are many to choose from. You have to make sure that you select a worsted-weight yarn. You will find this information on the label when you buy your yarn. You can choose your own color.
- Create your own patterns. You have to make sure that you use a single pattern that can fit anyone. Take a few measurements, and then check the measurements of the yarn that you want to use. You can do the math and you are good to go from there. You need to measure the following (in centimeters):
- The wrist circumference
- The palm circumference
- Size of the thumb, including the length
- The distance from the little finger to the top of the thumb
- The circumference of the palm
- The distance from the base of the thumb to the wrist
- Make sure that you measure your yarn before beginning to ensure that you have enough
Here are some websites that you can visit to get instructions on how to make mittens using a yarn:
- Hello Yarn. This website will give you different knitting patterns, including ones for mittens. It also offers detailed instructions for you to follow.
- Two Needle Mittens. This website gives you simple instructions in making mittens and it also has a pattern generator. The website has blogs on knitting that you can read to learn more about knitting.
- Helium. The website offers instructions in making baby mittens, hats and booties.
- Yarn Forward. The website gives detailed instructions in creating mittens like materials needed, tension and how to make a thrum.
- Mittens 101.The website offers quite a bit of information about how to knit mittens, the advantages of knitting mittens, how to create mitten patterns and in-depth calculations.
Creating mittens is definitely a great hobby, and once you've got several pair under your belt, it can also become your business. Once you get the hang of it, you can become an expert in making mittens and perhaps even open an online shop.