Snowflake lights are a neat and inexpensive way to add some softness and charm to your holiday decor. We have all, at one time or another made paper snowflakes while either still in school or with our children or even our grandchildren. In the following article, you will find the details on how to make snowflake lights.
Steps to making Snowflake Lights:
1) Gather supplies
You will need the following:
- Paper: any kind of white lightweight paper would work - copy paper is the best.
- Scissors, if working with small children you may consider getting blunt tip scissors
- Adhesive glue or even two-sided tape would work or even rubber cement glue
- Small strings of clear holiday lights
- Decoration for the snowflakes; glitter, little beads, sequins, clear glitter, paint, fake snow, angel hair (for adults to use only, Angle hair is spun glass, you do need to be very careful if using it. Would even recommend using a pair of medical gloves to apply) anything that would add to the shimmer from the lights.
2) First step is to cut out the snowflakes. Each snowflake has to have a twin. If you have twenty -five lights, then you will need to cut fifty snowflakes. , The easiest way to do this is with two pieces of copy paper folded together, so the snowflakes match.
3) After you cut the snowflakes out, then it is time to decorate them. If you prefer you could always leave them plain. The easiest way to decorate is glitter. Put a very light coat of all-purpose glue on the outside of the snowflake, and sprinkle glitter all over it. You want to go easy on the all-purpose of the glue so it dries quickly. You can also decorate them with some iridescent sequins or even little beads. To decorate the snowflakes, you need to use lightweight items so they do not become too heavy. Snowflakes need to dry completely before continuing on to the next step.
4) In this step, you will be gluing your snowflakes together. You can use all purpose glue, two sided tape or even rubber cement. You do not want to over use the all-purpose glue or the rubber cement, as it might make it to top heavy. You have two different ways to do the snowflake lights. You can glue them with the lights permanently inside between your snowflakes or you can leave the bottom unglued and slip your snowflakes over the lights. The preferred method is gluing together with the lights stuck permanently. If you do not stick the lights inside when making the snowflake lights, you could always reuse the lights for another holiday.
5) Hang your snowflake lights across the top of a window across an archway or almost anywhere in your home. Snowflake lights made from paper are not recommended for outdoor use.
That is how you make snowflake lights. Snowflake lights are an easy inexpensive decoration to make during the holiday season.