Did you know that you can make your own 3D glasses at home? This is a fun project for kids and adults. Younger children might need assistance, but this craft is appropriate for all ages. Here’s how to make your own 3D glasses:
Poster board, cardstock, or thin cardboard
1 sheet each of red and blue acetate (available at craft stores)
- Draw the pattern. On a piece of paper, draw the basic design for the frames of your 3D glasses. You’ll need the front piece, with two roughly rectangular or oval spaces for lenses and a notch in the center for your nose. You’ll also need two side arms with hooks to go over your ears, just like a regular pair of glasses. You can draw it as one piece, or draw the side arms separately from the front. Simpler patterns are easier to cut out of the cardboard, but you can make the design as complicated as you’d like.
- Check that the pattern fits. Cut out the paper pattern, and place it over your face to make sure it will work. If not, try drawing another pattern until you find one that will work.
- Cut out the cardboard. Place your paper pattern on the cardboard, trace around it, and then cut it out, including the two spaces in front for the lenses.
- Assemble the glasses. First, tape the side arms to the front piece if you drew the pattern in separate pieces. Then cut out one piece of red acetate and one of blue. Each of these pieces should be a little larger than the holes you cut in the glasses so that you’ll have room to tape them to the frame. If you can’t find red or blue acetate, you can also make your own colored plastic by using red and blue permanent markers on a sheet of clear plastic, like an overhead transparency.
- Add the colored plastic. Now, tape the red piece over the hole for the left eye, and the blue piece over the right eye. To watch a few 3D movies you’ll need to wear the glasses inside out or switch the lenses, because they are meant to be watched with the colors switched.
- Decorate. After you make your own 3D glasses, decorate the frames with markers, glitter, stickers, or anything else you can find.
These 3D glasses are great for watching TV or movies in 3D. Today there are many opportunities for watching shows in 3D if you have 3D glasses. They can be hard to find in stores, but luckily you can make your own 3D glasses at home.