Donkey Cards is a very simple card game for children. If your children know how to play Go Fish, then they can learn this game. Any deck of cards can be used as long as the deck has four matching numbers, faces, or shapes. It's a great game to play at a birthday party. Children love to use animal cards, because they enjoy making the animal sounds. This game was originally designed for children ages 5 to 12, but anyone can play. It would be a great Friday night family game; candy and/or small toys can be given out as prizes.
You will need:
A deck of cards
Small toys (optional)
- Shuffle the cards.
- Deal seven cards to each child.
- Put the rest of the deck face down in the center of the table.
- Turn the top card over.
- The first player decides if she wants that card.
- If first player chooses not to take that card, she will discard one of hers.
- The first player should lay her discarded card face down in front of the player to her left.
- The person to the left of the first player is to choose the card beside the deck or the discarded card.
- If the second player wants the card from the deck, a card from his hand is to be chosen and to be placed in front of the third player, face down.
- Keep playing this way until someone gets four of a kind.
- The first person to get four of a kind, will need to lay the match down secretly.
- If that person has been spotted by another player, that player says "Donkey" and the person that was spotted is out of the game.
- The winner becomes the one that has not been seen laying her match down.
- All the other players are to keep playing until there is one person left with cards in his hand.
- Everyone says together "Donkey" to the last person playing.