Computer games have been rising meteorically in popularity, and so are game servers. A game server is a remotely operated group of hardware and software utilized by game users or clients to allow one or more persons to play in the same game environment at the same time. This is also referred to as multiplayer video games. Among the common game server providers are Teamspeak Server, Counter Strike Servers, Ventrilo Server and Half Life Server.
There are several factors that need to be considered in choosing the right game server provider.
Game Server Performance
- The performance and quality of the game server greatly depends on the network bandwidth. Broadband Internet connections used at home have major limitations in operating game servers, even with just four to ten players. In fact, it can even put too much stress on the computer, which definitely means poor game performance and quality. This is greatly due to the simultaneous complex roles that a computer must perform such as computing the needed data. The server itself cannot function well considering that it has to monitor, sort out and distribute network data to other players and process data for 3D graphics.
- That is why there is a need for a good game server to have a computer system that can process data fast and easy. A server machine with data centers is a good choice, although you may have to pay higher prices for the rental fees. Moreover, this is one of the commonly used game server set-ups.
Game Server Types
- Generally, game servers are classified as dedicated servers and listen servers. A dedicated server is usually run by individuals using dedicated hardware positioned in data centers to provide higher bandwidth for better processing performance. This is the commonly used type especially by pc-based multi-players. For easier control of the game, it is better to have dedicated servers hosted by the owner of the game's software. Plus, it can also be operated on network servers for a bigger environment and more players.
- On the other hand, a listen server is the type that allows the player to participate in the game and at the same time, be the host. The down side of which is that the server also ends as the player is terminated. It is usually run using LAN systems instead of an Internet browser. Since it has limited bandwidth capacity, it cannot cater to a higher number of users or wider environment.
- In this case, the type of game server that you will choose will depend on the bandwidth capacity of your computer system or the kind of game that you will be playing.
Game Server Features
- Since you need to control and reconfigure your setting to suit the game, there is also a need to choose the game server that can provide the features that you will be using. See to it that the control panel can be used to install add-ons to manage your settings. It is better to choose servers that can offer you a helping hand, especially if you're not that experienced in the gaming arena.
- And finally, to help you in choosing the best game server rentals, better browse the net for a wide array of service providers. Make sure that you choose the best from among the rest.