Wouldn't it be great if everyone could look like a fashion model in all their photos? Good thing that there is a thing called glamour photography.
When speaking of glamour photos, it is a field of photography that makes everyone look as beautiful as possible. This technique is mostly used in fashion photography. However, do you know that even if you are not a professional photographer, you can still take good glamour shots? You bet, check these guidelines and you'll be impressed with the results.
The Preparation Stage
You need to know that in order for you to come up with glamour photos, you need a good technique, just like how model photography is usually done. So here are some guidelines for you:
- Choose a specific mood. If you have already thought about the mood of your pictures, ask the models to depict that mood.
- Choose a good background. You need to take note that the background need not be distracting. The subject needs to stand out in the pictures. Also, it is important that the background contrasts in color with that of the clothes of the model.
- Make sure that the models wear make-up. This is true for both men and women. Make-up plays an important role in coming up with great glamour photos.
The Picture Taking Stage
Once everything is set, then you need to actual take the pictures. It is way similar to the usual picture-taking; however, there are some things that need to be considered such as the following:
- Remember that most glamour shots are taken vertically. The importance of the vertical shots in glamour shots is actually more related to techniques. Since it is common that people are used to seeing their regular photos in a horizontal image, the different style of glamour shots will make it appear more appealing. Therefore, you need to master how to turn your camera the vertical way.
- Ensure that the eyes of the subject are in focus.
- Know how your position in taking the shot will affect the mood of the picture. For example, when you take a shot from below, the subject will appear to be more dominant. On the other hand, when it is from above, the subject will appear more passive.
- Have good lighting. Just like in any kind of photography, good lighting is a must. And this is especially needed in glamour photography. In cases of professional photographers, they make use of soft boxes and some diffusers to soften any kind of light. If you don't have them, you can use a piece of white cloth or cardboard as a diffuser.
It might amaze you that professional cameras are not really needed in glamour photography. Actually, as long as you know how to select a good background, proper lighting, and make-up of the subject, it is possible that you can create great glamour shots. Take note, you do not need to be a professional to do this.