Tic Tac Toe may be your answer to killing time and doing away with boredom, but you still want to win. Follow these tips and you can win almost every time.
- Draw the board. Creating a game board for Tic Tac Toe is easy. Just take your pencil (or pen) to paper and draw two parallel vertical lines. Then cross those lines perpendicularly with two parallel horizontal lines. You will have a small grid with nine spaces to insert either an X or an O.
- Choose Xs or Os. The game starts when the players decide which they will be and then who will go first.
- Place your X in the center square. The center is the best strategic starting point so the first player will typically choose to start here. The best way to win Tic Tac Toe is to go first and start in the center square. If you cannot go first then you need to try to distract your opponent or talk them out of the center square.
- Place your second X in one of the corners. It doesn’t matter where your opponent put their first O; your next move is to a corner. Be proactive not reactive.
- Notice where the second O is placed and determine if you need to block. Your opponent may have used their second turn to place two Os on the same row. If this is the case your next move is to place your X between them to block the Os from winning the game on the next turn. If you don’t have to block, choose another corner and place your X.
- Check your own positioning. Now you should have two areas where you can complete your row of Xs so that no matter where the O is placed, you will have one remaining.
- Play another round. Tic Tac Toe isn’t a one round type of game. Try playing best of three or best of nine, whatever works for you and your opponent to waste some time.
Tic Tac Toe isn’t mentally challenging and if you really want to win every time find an opponent who isn’t too swift or doesn’t mind if you always go first. These simple rules will get you the win as often as possible.