You can make a knit sweater by learning to knit in a few easy steps.
- First get a "how to knit" book that shows you how to make the different stitches.
- Practice the stitches by making 4" squares of the knit stitch, the purl stitch and a combination of the two in the third square. You will need a pair of knitting needles and a skein or ball of yarn to make the squares. You want to practice making these squares where all of the stitches have the same tension, and you may want to do this three of four times until you get the hang of it.
- You will also note a variety of other stitches and you can practice these as well, though it is not necessary.
Now that you have the basics of knitting down, you will need to get the materials to make a knit sweater.
- You first will want to find a pattern that is labeled for beginners or easy, as this is your best bet for competing that first sweater.
- Read the pattern thoroughly to find all of the materials you will need to complete the sweater. You may want to take the pattern home and make a list. You are going to want to know what size needle you will need as well as the type and amount of yarn, and you should pay pretty close attention to the weight, as knitting patterns are constructed with this in mind.
- Once you have all of that straight in your mind you will want to go back to the store to get those supplies.
- While there, consider obtaining a knitting bag or basket to keep your project in.
Having everything arranged, you are now ready to knit. You will want to have a pen and pad to keep track of your progress. Sweaters are generally knitted in several pieces, so you will be able to sit back and relax in a comfortable chair and work on one at a time.
Having knitted all of the pieces for your sweater, you will then follow the instructions for assembling the pieces. When you have finished assembly, be sure to follow the blocking instructions, for they are necessary to get the proper shape and insure that you get long life from your knit sweater.
Now that you know how to make a knit sweater, you will be able to create all kinds of knitted items.