Ah, holiday movies... Always a source of good, clean fun and happiness. The overall positive vibe these films have is a reminder of just how magical life can be. Whether or not the season calls for it, there's nothing quainter than popping some corn, cozying up with loved ones and watching some of the best holiday flicks. Here a short list of some classics and a few of today's best holiday movies:
- It's a Wonderful Life. The benchmark holiday film, It's a Wonderful Life set the standard for Christmas movies. This timeless classic continues to be shown on television every holiday season and never fails to spread goodwill towards man. For every time an angel gets its wings, a person falls in love with Jimmy Stewart's magical tale.
- A Christmas Carol. One of Charles Dickens' most popular pieces of literature has spawned countless film adaptations. From the original ‘30s version to the comedic Scrooged, up to the Christmas Carol stories being shot today, this tale of a hardened man realizing the true spirit of the holidays is more than enough to melt even the iciest of hearts.
- Miracle on 34th Street. This unique tale of Santa Claus in Macy's, shows that there's room for holiday magic even in a commercialized world. A modern-day fantasy that'll delight kids and adults alike, Miracle on 34th Street is a definite must-see on your holiday movie-viewing list.
- A Christmas Story. Who can resist falling in love with adorable Ralphie and his quest for a Red Rider BB gun? This charming look at Christmas through the eyes of a child guarantees laughs, love, and a whole lot of fun.
- Home Alone. This holiday film is notorious for making Macaulay Culkin a star. This entertaining comedy of a child defending his home while stranded for the holidays never loses the spirit of Christmas amidst the hilarity.
- How the Grinch Stole Christmas. Another holiday standard, this Boris Karloff-narrated animated film has a charm all its own. With Dr. Seuss' famous rhymes telling the tale of a Scrooge-esque creature saving the Christmas he originally sought to spoil, you'll be captivated by the Grinch, Cindy Lou and the rest of the Who's in this holiday masterpiece.
- The Santa Clause. With Tim Allen delivering some of his best comedy ever, The Santa Clause is a modern fairy tale of a man who unwittingly finds himself transforming into the one and only Kris Kringle. While the plot borders on the ridiculous, the film itself is a heart-warming reminder of the magic of the holidays.
Speaking of modern-day fairy tales, few can match the wonder that Will Ferrell's film about an elf that discovers that he is human brings to its viewers. Will Ferrell's endearing performance as the wide-eyed Buddy wins over its audience in a way that only Ferrell can deliver. With James Caan playing our protagonist's grumpy father, Zoey Deschanel's lovely crooning, and a whole lot of Christmas carols, Elf is a sure-fire holiday favorite.