Creating a scrapbook is an exciting adventure for children of young ages. It could make them think of the journey they have led since the day they were born. It is almost like telling their stories through photos. Children as young as kindergarten can already customize coherent thoughts about a particular event. They love to color, doodle and cut papers.
Moms are almost always the ones who keep piles of photos of their children. Each of your children’s photos has its own story to tell. To preserve your most precious photos and the memories in it, creating a scrapbook with your children is the best option. It can also be a venue for your children to express their creativity as well as a bonding moment with them. Below is a list of things that you can do to create your personalized scrapbook.
What you will need:
- Crayons/Colored pencils/Colored pens (One or a combination, ensure the quality so that the colors will last a lifetime)
- Good quality cardboards as scrapbook pages
- Colored papers
- Glitters or other adornment
- Glue or any adhesive
- Pens or permanent marker
- String or yarn (any color)
- Talk to your children about the goal of the project. Make them feel excited about the idea of creating their stories through their photos. It is best that your children are in their best mood to appreciate the project every step of the way.
- Let your child decide a theme for the album. It can be her infant and/or toddler years, first year in school, friends in school and neighborhood, first summer vacation etc. Make him/her think of a title.
- Segregate and categorize the photos according to the theme. Set aside photos that belong to a different theme. If possible, let your child tell the story and let him/her organize the sequence.
- Gather all your materials, selected photos, coloring materials, cardboards, adhesive, scissors and pens. You can either use one color of cardboard or various colors depending on the theme. Punch the left side of each cardboard using a standard puncher. Choose the color of the cardboard based on the photo’s backgrounds to ensure that each page looks attractive.
- Teach your child on ways to cut a photo. Make sure that you have separate copies in case your child encounters mistakes in cutting the photos.
- Cut and design the colored papers as cutout photos background. Paste them together.
- In the scrapbook page, paste the designed photo. Cut another piece of the same colored paper and let your child write a caption with the use of a pen or a permanent marker. It can be one word, a phrase or a short paragraph. Paste it under the photo.
- Add glitters and stickers to the page.
- Tie each page together using a string. Create an attractive cover with your child’s name in it and the title of the theme.