When it comes to Christmas decorating, many people put their focus on outdoor decorations such as lights, sculptures, and even inflatable characters for the lawn. But the old standby, the Christmas tree, cannot be forgotten as it is one of the most versatile Christmas items there is. With a little effort, you can choose Christmas tree decorations that add beauty and personality to your home for the holidays.
- First, you should consider the theme you want for your tree and choose Christmas tree decorations appropriately. Single-color themes are popular for Christmas trees, and you can even buy artificial Christmas trees to match the color theme of your decorations. You may also choose a single character or motif, like angels, Santas, or stars, and cover your tree with ornaments only featuring that character or motif.
- Next, decide what sort of ornament you'd like to use. The plain round glass ornaments are popular for single-color theme trees. If you have children, you may choose Christmas tree decorations that won't break and pose a safety hazard to them. If you are a person who enjoys crafts, you can also make your own ornaments and showcase them on your tree. Children can help with handmade ornaments as well.
- Lights are another important addition to your tree. You can choose from the traditional clear or multi-colored strands of lights, or go for colors like pink or purple. Many artificial trees are pre-lit, which means they already have lights on them, so you have one less item to buy and put on the tree.
- Then there's the garland to consider. Flashy metallic garland or strings of beads are available in a variety of colors to match your decorating theme. More old-fashioned garlands can be made from popcorn, berries, or even kids' cereal. These older-style garlands work very well on trees with primitive or handmade ornaments.
- The final item to consider when you choose Christmas tree decorations is the tree topper. Some families use an antique topper handed down through many generations. If you don't have such an heirloom, choose a beautiful star or angel to start your own tradition of a handed-down tree topper. There is a wide variety of star and angel tree toppers to fit in with any tree, from a very formal, beautifully decorated one, to a tree with more sentimental than aesthetic value. Taking the time to choose Christmas tree decorations will mean you get a tree the whole family can love.