Mother's Day only comes only once a year, and with it the annual panic of how to find the perfect gift for someone who gave you the gift of life, sustenance and years of free maid service.
For most moms, clutter is a serious issue—she does not need a new potted plant or pastry dish, and if she did, she would probably buy it for herself. Get creative and give your mom a gift this Mother's Day that is all about her.
- Moms need to relax! A gift certificate to a spa, or a massage, manicure, pedicure or facial is a great way to show your Mom you appreciate all those years of buying you acne medication and washing your clothes.
- If a spa trip is out of your budget, create a gift basket for your mom's perfect night in, complete with bubble bath, scrubbing salts, wine, chocolates and a good book or classical CD.
- Magazine subscriptions as a Mother's Day gift are a gift that keeps on giving. Look for a magazine that caters to a specific interest of hers, or ask her if there is any hobby she would like to take up, and pick her up a subscription in that area of interest. This is her chance to cultivate a hobby and take time out to do something for herself.
- Give the gift of time together for Mother's Day. Take your Mom for a night out on the town to the ballet, the opera, or the theater. Go to a sporting event, local museum or wine tasting. Take her on a weekend getaway for just the two of you. Go do something outside of the things you would normally do when you are together and form a memory that will last long after the ticket stub (or tan) fades.
- Peruse eBay for autographed merchandise from your mom's favorite bands as a teenager, or a signed copy of her favorite book.
- For new moms, reconnecting with who she was before the new baby is vital. Find a Mother's Day gift that helps her remember what she used to do in her spare time, such as a DVD box set of her favorite TV show, a book she had been meaning to read, or an iTunes gift card.
Whatever gift you give this Mother's Day, search for a gift that compliments what makes your mom unique, what makes her your mother.