Have you ever envied someone's beautiful Christmas Tree Ornaments? Do you want to learn how to make your own? This article will explain in detail how you can make ornaments to celebrate your holiday season. The ornament is easy to make and it's a great family activity. You will need the following materials: beads, styrofoam craft balls (sizes vary), hot glue gun and glue, ornament hooks and twist eye hooks.
- Select the size of craft balls that you would like to use. Do not select balls that would be too big for your tree. If the balls are too large, they may cause the tree to tip over. Count out the number of balls you would need for the number of ornaments that you would like to make. Set the selected balls to the side.
- Select the colors and sizes of the beads that you would like to use for your ornaments. I recommend the small, colored, see-through beads or shiny metallic beads. If you are using many different colors, I have found that it is helpful to place the beads in a jewelry making tray. Align the beads in the pattern that you are going to use. The easiest is to use the same colored beads all over. You can get creative if you are using larger balls. An example is to "write" names using assorted colors, then cover the rest of the ornament with a single color. You can also do a rainbow of colors for your ornaments. Use your imagination. The possibilities are unlimited.
- Hold your ball firmly in one hand and screw the eye hook into the top of the ball. Use firm pressure when screwing in the eye hook. Screw the hook straight down. If you apply pressure at an angle it may cause your styrofoam ball to crack.
- Begin at the eye hook, glue beads in rows going towards the bottom of the ball, using the hot glue. Do not place the glue directly on the ball. Place the glue on the bead. If you place the glue directly on the styrofoam ball, it may melt it, causing an uneven appearance in your ornament. Continue until the ball is covered in beads. Let it dry completely.
- Place ornament hook into eye hook. Ornament hooks come in different sizes. Select one that will support the weight of your ornament.
- Place the completed ornaments on your tree. Enjoy your beautiful ornaments.
This is a fun activity to do with children ages 4+. Your child will enjoy seeing their "work" displayed for all to see. It's a fun and easy way to spend quality time with your family. If you use metallic beads when making your ornaments, the lights will reflect off of your ornaments, giving them a glow of their own.