Halloween is just around the corner. What could be more fun than coming up with a unique costume that'll grab attention and smiles? Now you can go to a costume shop, but chances are they’ll have a lot of the same items in stock. You can order it online or through a catalog, but you run into the same problem plus the waiting time and shipping charges. Why not make one instead? Too much work, you say? No way!
Now what kind of costume can you make that’s easy and creative? How about something different like a bumblebee costume? Yes, you read it right. Bumblebee costumes are easy to make and are inexpensive to boot! All you need are some supplies from your closet and a little from a craft or office supply store. Your color scheme is even simple because bumblebee costumes are all black and yellow. Are you ready?
- First you’ll need antennas. Grab an old black plastic headband or buy an inexpensive one at the drug store.
- While you’re there, check out the school supplies and grab some black pipe cleaners and pompoms.
- Twist two pipe cleaners together. For an extra boost to your bumblebee costume, twist together black and yellow pipe cleaners.
- Glue the pompoms onto one end of each twisted pipe cleaner.
- Next, twist the bumblebee antennas onto the headband.
- For the body of your bumblebee costume, you have two choices. One way is to get an oversized black sweatshirt. You need that round bumblebee belly, so the roomier the better!
- Next, you need yellow horizontal stripes for your bumblebee costume. Grab some yellow felt or fleece and cut them into strips three inch wide and about 2 ½ - 3 feet long. These stripes must go around the front of your bumblebee belly, so make sure they’re long enough. Your bumblebee costumes will need about three to four stripes, depending on your height.
- You can also use a black garbage bag to give your bumblebee costume a nice healthy sheen. Just cut three holes: one for your head and two for your arms. Tuck the bag opening into your pants. Draw string bags work great! Wear a black turtleneck underneath.
- Glue or hot glue the yellow stripes onto the body of your bumblebee costume, spaced about 2-3 inches apart. Stuff the belly with paper for a full belly.
Now all you need are black pants, socks and shoes, then your bumblebee costume is complete!