One way to save money during the Christmas season is by making your own Christmas decorations instead of buying them from the store. An easy project you can do with your family is making your own Christmas wreath that you can hang on your door. Making your own wreath is not as hard as you think. You will have to be resourceful enough so you don't end up spending a lot of money. Also, you will have a chance to make a unique wreath that will be different from the wreath of your neighbors.
Follow these steps to create your own Christmas wreath:
- Materials - The materials you will need are a wreath shaped Styrofoam, glue gun, scissors, branches, twigs, dried leaves, spring flowers, ribbons and other ornaments or decorations that you want to add to your wreath. You can purchase the wreath shaped Styrofoam from art stores. You can gather twigs, pine cones, flowers and other natural materials from your own backyard. Ask your children for help in collecting materials from your backyard so that you can turn this into a holiday activity.
- Cover the Styrofoam - The first thing you have to do is to cover the Styrofoam with your choice of ribbon. You can use green colored ribbon so that the base of your wreath will have the same colors as the leaves that you are going to put on it. Wrap the ribbon around the Styrofoam wreath and secure it with a glue gun.
- Attach the Leaves - The next step is to attach the leaves on the wreath. Before gluing the leaves, you can arrange them first so that you know what it will look like. Glue the leaves one by one until you have covered the entire wreath. You can put different kinds of leaves for variation and you can add as many as you want.
- Decorating - After the glue on the leaves is already dry, you can start decorating your wreath. You can add Christmas flowers for a floral wreath, lights so that it can be lighted at night, candy canes, Christmas balls and more. You don't need to buy these decorations. You can use old Christmas decorations that you have in the house. You can also add ribbons so that your wreath can match the other Christmas decorations in your home.
- Hanging the Wreath - After everything is set and the glue is already dry, you can mount the wreath on your front door so that everyone can see the wreath that you made. You can do this by nailing it to the door or using a wire to hang it.
These are the steps on how you can make your own Christmas wreath. Other Christmas decorations you can make on your own include a garland, Christmas floral arrangements and even your own Santa Claus. Christmas decorations do not always have to be in red or green. You can use other colors and still feel the spirit of Christmas. Other colors that are commonly used are gold, silver and blue.