One of the best ways to ensure that your Halloween party will be a success is to give it a theme that will get people excited about attending.
- Everybody seems to have their favorite Hollywood horror film, so why not invite guests to come as their favorite Hollywood movie monster, from Frankenstein and the Mummy, to Dracula and the shark from "Jaws." Rent some of the classic horror films and make them part of your party entertainment, with menus to match including Frankenfurters, Dracula Dagwood sandwiches and Wolfman burgers.
- Another theme idea is to have people come costumed as their favorite hero. You'll be surprised at the response you'll get, ranging from Wonder Woman and President Abe Lincoln to Superman, the cop on the beat and Neil Armstrong, the first astronaut to walk on the surface of the moon.
- Make your party location a 1920s Chicago speakeasy and theme your Halloween party to the rip-roaring Twenties, inviting guests to come in gangster garb including wide lapel suits, fedora hats, spangly flapper dresses and even a toy machine gun or two.
- Everybody loves a good murder mystery and you can theme your Halloween party around one of the many clever murder mystery games currently on the market. You can clue in your guests ahead of time as to the proper time period for costumes based on the game you have selected, or have them come as their favorite crime victim, e.g. The Black Dahlia, George "Superman" Reeve, or Bob "Hogan's Heroes" Crane.
- Theme your party around an all-time blockbuster hit movie like "Star Wars," "Harry Potter" or "Gone with the Wind" and let your guests design their costume based on the film selected.
- Since pirates are always a Halloween costume favorite, create a Treasure theme to your party, decorate the back yard or basement with sand, pirate flags and barbecue pits and give everyone a scavenger list of items that can be found in the neighborhood while the party meal is cooking.
- People always love having their fortunes told, so make your party a "Psychic" theme complete with tarot card and palm readers for entertainment.
If the party is geared toward all children, theme your festivities to a favorite show like "Sesame Street" or "SpongeBob Squarepants." A "Come to the Circus" theme is always popular with children, encouraging each to dress as their favorite category of circus performer or clown.