Venetian blinds are window coverings that have slats overlapping one another. These slats are made with materials such as plastic or metal. Wooden slats are also used sometimes although they now fall into their own category as wooden blinds or bamboo blinds. Tapes are the strips of cloth that keep them suspended although cords can also be used for the same purpose.
The following steps can instruct you how to replace ladder tapes or repair them when they no longer function properly:
- The first thing to do before even beginning to repair or replace ladder tapes on Venetian blinds, or any other type of blinds for that matter, is to understand how it works. It is not easy to fix anything if you are not familiar with its mechanisms or the principle behind its functionality.
- For your Venetian blinds to have a longer life span and make sure that it works properly, make sure that its slat are always kept clean and that your ladder tapes repaired or replaced when necessary.
- To clean the slats, take the blind down, laying it flat on an even surface and in the open position from top to bottom. Removing the knots from the lift cord, untie both of its ends and pull the cord out of the blind. Place equalizer clip aside. Start removing the slats, a piece at a time, and fix them in an orderly stack. Fill up a large container with water mixed with detergent and soak your slats in them. Rinse and dry them both front and back sides.
- Remove the hooks that are located at the top of the blind. They are there to hold your tapes, one on each side. Place your new tapes in the top box, sliding these hooks into pair of tapes, at the sides of the box. Slipping the slats in between the ladder tapes, fold the edges under attaching them to the lowest rail under the slat. Make certain that the slats are facing the right direction, right side up.
- Insert the cord into the blind, beginning at the tilt cord area, going up that side. Make it pass over the top and through the control pulley going down the opposite side. Make a knot at the end of each cord, securing the ends at the bottom rail. Slide the equalizer clip back onto the lift cord. You may, at this point, install a new tilt cord if needed.
- It is a good idea to check your control pulley to make sure that it is functioning properly before placing back your blind. You can vacuum out any excess dirt or pieces of lint from the pulley before using a soft rag in cleaning it thoroughly. Another last item you can add to your pulley mechanism is spraying it with a small amount of silicone. This keeps pulleys working more efficiently.
Although it may appear to be a difficult task at first, following these instructions can make repairing and cleaning up your blinds second nature to you. You need not hire any help for this task. Doing it yourself can save you a lot of money and still make you come up with the same positive results.