Constant rain or shine can greatly cause wear and tear to any traditional low sloping or flat roofs. This will make the roof susceptible to leaks. The best way to repair your roof is by applying or installing a rubber roof on it. Rubber roofs are durable, lightweight, and UV resistant. Rubber roofs or EPDM (Ethylene Propylene Diene Monimer) can either be in a solid sheet form or in liquid paint form. In any case, both can be purchased along with a bonding adhesive at your local hardware store.
Installing a rubber roof sheet
- Before purchasing a rubber roof sheet, make sure to measure your roof and add a few inches on all sides of your roof for the rubber sheet. Remember to install the rubber roof on a day without rain.
- Thoroughly clean the whole roof with a brush and detergent. Make sure that every inch of the roof is free of dirt and grime. This will ensure proper adhesive bonding later on.
- Lay the rubber sheet onto the roof. It is important to ensure that the rubber sheet extends to all sides of the roof. Fold the rubber in half so that you can apply the adhesive on the roof and on the rubber sheet. Applying the adhesive on both the roof and the rubber will provide better bonding results. Once applied, let the adhesive cure until tacky then unfold the half of the sheet and firmly press it on the roof. Use a roller or a broom to smooth out any wrinkles or air bubbles. Do the same process for the other half. Clean off any bonding adhesive seeping out at the edges of the rubber and roof with a towel.
- Allow the adhesive to dry for about an hour. Now you have a new rubber roof.
Applying a liquid rubber roof
- Purchase liquid EPDM, a paint roller, and a paint brush from your local hardware store. Clean the roof with detergent. Make sure that the roof is free from dirt and grime. If you are only applying liquid rubber on small portion of the roof, make sure to line up the proportions of the concerned area with painter’s tape.
- Using a paint roller and a paint brush, apply the liquid rubber onto the roof. You will want to apply a smooth light to medium coat. Use the paint roller for the main body of the roof and the paint brush for the edges.
- After applying the liquid rubber on the totality of your roof, all it to settle and dry. To ensure proper bonding and drying, allow it to cure for a day.
Tip: Ask a friend to help you out in this project especially if the roof is quite large.
Applying or installing a rubber roof is an easy way to reinforce your flat roof and prevent leaking. You can easily find all the tools needed for this project in any local hardware store.