There are many ways to help the needy and homeless. One of the concrete and tangible ways of doing this is by distributing your own hygiene kit. There are plenty of organizations that you can tap to help you organize the hygiene kit, sponsor the materials that will be included in the package, and even help you in distributing the kit to shelters and homes for the homeless, all over the city. Here are the steps to assemble your own hygiene kit.
- Get sponsors. If you want to make the most of your effort at assembling a hygiene kit, you should enlist as much help as possible. Help can come in the form of resources, or labor power. Apart from your friends and family that can help in packaging, you should also get material support from major business establishments. Create solicitation letters asking for specific hygiene related materials. Most grocery stores and shopping centers will be willing to sponsor an item or two, such as a box of shaving kits, cartons of soap, and other materials that will comprise the bulk of your kit.
- Food hygiene. The most important part of the hygiene kit are those items related to food hygiene. Place reusable and lightweight eating utensils such as plates, bowls, forks and spoons made from aluminum. There are some disinfectants that are available for food utensils, which will help in keeping the forks and spoons clean. Otherwise, you can provide a packet of dishwashing soap or liquid. Food hygiene is very important since many people can get infections from unwashed eating utensils. You can also include a few edible items such as instant soups that only need hot water. Keep in mind, however, that soup kitchens will provide the bulk of food that homeless people will consume.
- Personal hygiene. Make sure that your hygiene kit has a couple of bars of soap, tooth paste and brushes, and a bottle of shampoo. You should create two separate hygiene kits, with one designed for females. For female hygiene kits, include tampons or sanitary napkins. If you can find sponsors for disposable underwear, you can also include this in your kit. Laundry soaps can also be included, to help the poor and homeless in maintaining their clothing.
- Basic first aid. As much as possible, include first aid items in the hygiene kit. If you can contact a local pharmacy to sponsor your project, you may be able to include antiseptics, bottles of isopropyl alcohol, basic medicine such as analgesics and antipyretics, and bandages. Hygiene includes keeping wounds and insect bites disinfected, which is very common in people living in the streets.
- Packaging and distribution. Once all of the items for the hygiene kit are prepared, you can pack the items into pouches. You can use plastic bags to package the kit. However, reusable pouches and bags are better since this will give the recipients of the hygiene kit some place to store the kit and keep it handy at all times. The best bags for the job are spacious, cheap, durable and waterproof. These bags will be just as useful for the recipients as the hygiene kits. Once the kits have been prepared, you can distribute the packages to various organizations that help the poor and homeless. You can also deliver the goods yourself.
Christmas is just around the bend, but whatever the time of the year is, a goodwill donation in the form of hygiene kits is always appreciated by the many who need these useful gifts.