Everyone has their own style of decorating their home, but there are general ideas that should always be avoided. Some things just make your home look tacky and are not very good as decorating practices. Here is How to Avoid the 5 Worst Decorating Mistakes you can make.
- First, never cover anything in plastic! It is true that plastic covers will protect your furniture from dust, pet dander and virtually anything else, but it's ugly! Not only is the plastic unattractive but it is uncomfortable to sit on, especially during the summer when it is hot outside. If people notice that your furniture is covered in plastic and you are not painting your house, it is most likely that you will get more invites to other people's houses than they will want to come to yours.
- Keep your rooms clean! There is nothing worse than walking into a room that is cluttered. Clutter comes in all forms too. Just because you have a big room doesn't mean it needs to be filled with big furniture and have every space filled with knick-knacks and items. Simple decorations and minimal decorations are perfectly acceptable no matter the size of your room. Also, to go along with this, you should try to keep patterns in any room to a minimum. If you have a nice floral pattern on your sofa and chairs it doesn't need to be repeated with the wallpaper, your tissue box cozies and your area rug.
- When picking paint and wallpaper, try not to go for the most exotic trendy thing you can find. You should always keep your own tastes in mind. Know what you like and stick to it when you go to the store. There is nothing worse than spending a bunch of money on bright blue paint and sea blue carpeting when you are going to go home, install it all and then change your mind. Also, bright colors on your walls will detract from the items that you decorate your home with. Depending on the color, it can also make your rooms look much more small than they are.
- Lastly, avoid fake plants at all costs. Face it, you don't dust your fake plants, nobody does. If you fake plants, ivy, and trees look tacky and out of place. The worst thing you could ever do, however, is to put fake trees and flowers outside. There is no point to put fake plants outside when you can easily grow real ones.
- Okay, one more. Avoid florescent lighting or lighting that is too soft. Either one can be disastrous. Florescent lighting is very harsh and brings out every flaw in your decorating. If your lighting is too soft for your room, then it is going to make your room look like a cave. There is nothing worse than having a dark room that you can't see properly in.