One way to show your personality is through your clothes. You can wear colorful clothes in bold colors that will make you stand out in the crowd. The problem is, colored clothes can turn dull and lose their brightness when they get washed over and over again. There are certain things that you can do to prevent this from happening. You do not have to purchase special detergent for colored clothes. All you have to do is follow these simple tips!
- Salt water. Before washing your colored clothes, soak them in a basin with salt water overnight. This will retain the bright colors of your clothes. The next day, wash the clothes as you would normally do.
- Limit washing. Another tip that you have to keep in mind is to wash the colored clothes only when you really have to. Washing clothes over and over, even when they are not that dirty can cause the colors of the clothes to fade easier or quicker. If you have worn your colored clothes and it is not dirty or you didn’t perspire in it, you can just let it air-dry and wear it again.
- Wash inside out. When washing colored clothes, turn it inside out before putting them in the washing machine or even when hand-washing them. This way, you will retain the color and the brightness of the clothes.
- Cold setting. Wash your colored clothes in the cold setting of the washing machine. This simple cold setting trick will help keep retain the brightness of the colors on your clothes.
- Ammonia. When you wash your clothes in the washing machine or in a basin, measure half a cup of vinegar and put it in the washer. The vinegar has some ingredients that will help brighten the colors on your clothes. If you do not want to use vinegar, you can substitute it for half a cup of household ammonia. This will also help keep the brightness of your colored clothes.
- Hang inside out. After washing your colored clothes, hang them out to dry under the sun inside out. Hanging them with the colored sides out may cause the colored to fade when the clothes are left under the sunlight for too long. It will also help if you use the dryer before hanging so that you wouldn’t have to hang them out for too long.
These are the simple steps on how you can brighten your colored clothes and avoid them from fading or being dull. You do not have to purchase expensive commercial products that can do the job for you. All you have to do is follow these simple tips and you will surely see the different in the brightness of your clothes.
There are also some things that you can do in order to brighten your white clothes. One trick that you can do is to soak your white clothes in a basin with lemon juice and water. After a few minutes of soaking in the water and lemon solution, continue to wash your white clothes as you normally would.