When your bathroom starts to seem dingy and dull it never looks clean. You could waste your money on expensive cleansers and treatments for the bathroom. Or you might scrub your way to a sore elbow. Instead you might consider following these steps to brighten your bathroom and tiles. The steps for cleaning tiles work on all other surfaces except the mirrors in your bathroom.
- Hot water
- Stiff toothbrush
- Baking soda
- Large plastic cup
- Test clean a hidden tile. Different tile materials have a different level of porousness that impacts the chemicals you can use to clean them. Before getting started you should read the manufacturers warnings on the specific tiles. When this is not an option, try test cleaning a tile that is out of the way. Start with a tile behind the toilet or under the vanity edge if you can so that if there is a problem the tile won't be visible. The following steps should be appropriate for standard glazed ceramic tiles without any problem.
- Sweep the tiles. In order to remove any loose dirt, hair or dust from the wall and floor tiles, use a broom or brush to sweep them.
- Rinse with hot water. Remove the next layer of dirt with a mop or sponge and hot water. You will need to rinse the mop or sponge often.
- Scrub the grout. Often the tiles in a bathroom shower surround and floor absorb dirt. It is dirty grout which keeps your bathroom tiles from gleaming and looking clean. Mix a cup of baking soda with a few teaspoons of hot water and stir them into a paste. Apply this paste to the grout and use a toothbrush to scrub the grout to remove any dirt and soap scum.
- Clean the tiles. Use a warm sponge to wipe the baking soda solution over the top layer of the tiles before you rinse. Now that the grout is cleaned, wiping the tiles should brighten up the bathroom considerably.
- Rinse with hot water. With steaming hot water in a large cup, you can rinse the tile. Pour the water over the tile walls to rinse any residue of the baking soda. For tile floors you can use a mop in a bucket of hot water and rinse the floors several times until clean.
- Allow the tiles to dry. Turn the vent on in the bathroom in order to dry the tiled areas. They should now be sparkling clean.
With a few common household items and a little bit of time, you can make your bathroom sparkle and shine. With the use of one, non-toxic cleaner you can speed up your cleaning and avoid noxious smells while cleaning.