A well-kept garden is always a lovely sight. Just being in it and enjoying the soothing atmosphere is a much-deserved respite from a job that ties you to the asphalt and concrete world in the city. However, it becomes even better if you construct simple but attractive garden buildings not just to augment its beauty but also to provide a structure in which you can spend your time. This is where you can relax on a sunny Sunday afternoon and take pleasure in watching over the little green realm in which you are the king.
In order to have these structures in your own garden, you can either buy those pre-fabricated ones or you can really build one yourself. While the former is more convenient and easy, the latter is quite tedious and time-consuming. However, building one yourself allows you the chance to make your own design that will really suit your garden. Below are the major ideas in building such structures.
- Choose the exact location in the garden in which you will construct the building. Make sure that it has a flat surface wide enough to accommodate the structure. If you are constructing a bigger structure such as garden cabins, then you should make sure that it has enough distance from the bigger plants and trees in the garden.
- Sketch a building plan according to the location and according to the purpose of your building. These are usually very simple plans and may not require you to have it in blueprint. However, if this one is relatively big and sophisticated as summer houses are, then you may need to have it in blueprint. You can also buy a design from shops that specialize in these types of garden structures.
- Find out from your local building officials if you need to apply for a permit before starting construction. This is when your blueprint may be necessary. They need it to see if your structure passes the standards on safety, especially if it is habitable.
- Canvass the materials you will need for the construction. You can shop online or actually drive to the different hardware shops near your place. Just make sure that you are ordering materials that would suit your design. Get lighter materials for building a simple potting shed. On the other hand, as its name implies, timber sheds definitely require heavier wooden materials.
- Start the construction. You may need more hands for the task. Some help from friends will do or you can hire people to work for you. If your structure has glass materials for windows such as garden offices, you may need the help of glass installation services.
After a few days of work, your structure should be finished and ready for use. You may then ponder what other garden buildings may complement it. Just put in mind always, that you should not cramp your garden with too many structures that may grab attention from the plants.