An island fireplace is certainly a type of fireplace that would turn some heads. Unlike traditional fireplaces that are usually on one side of the room, an island fireplace is in the middle of an open space allowing you and your visitors a good view of the fire itself from a 360 degree perspective. This gives the room somewhat of a domestic campfire feel. It’s not for everyone since the logistics of the fireplace will challenge most homes and owners to do a lot of modifications.
If you want to have your very own island fireplace inside your home, here are some of the things that you have to consider to make sure that you’re getting the very best one for your room:
- Have a good idea of how big your room is. You may refer to the plans of your house or you may physically measure the floor area of the room as well as the dimensions of the room in its widest and narrowest points. Knowing these measurements would allow you to plot out where in the room the island fireplace should be. Having these on hand can also help you eliminate fireplaces that are just way too big for the space that you have. Fit is not only the concern – you should also think of the other furniture in the room as well as the foot traffic that that area receives. Clearly, having a fireplace in the middle of a narrow hall way would be a terrible idea.
- Get feedback on which brands and models are the best in the field. You can do this by asking your family and friends who have had island fireplaces installed in their homes. There are also interior design magazines that are devoted to making sure that the design and the structure of the fireplace conforms to the aesthetic qualities of your house and the space that you want to put it in.
- Inquire about the upkeep of the fireplace. Would it need to be serviced and maintained extensively over its functional life? If so, you have to check where the nearest service stations are.
- Ask about the warranty that comes with the fireplace. Should it break down or need any type of sprucing up. It would be great to be sure that the company that made it would be more than willing to cover for it.
- Look at the price. At the end of the day, you’re after the best possible product for the budget that you have. If you’re happy with the price and the features that your product has, you might as well get it. The prices on these things don’t usually go down since the outlets that sell them don’t really go into big sales.
An island fireplace is an interesting choice for a room. It would create a very unique environment for your guests. The moment someone steps into your room, it’s likely that the fireplace itself can turn into the center of attention that would the topic of conversation for pretty much the rest of the night.