Replacing the roof is no joke. Enough expertise is needed to properly replace a roof. Plus, this requires a big sum of money. It's not as simple as replacing the sofa cover. Replacing the roof could be a lifetime investment. You do it incorrectly and you might have to do it again after some years. That means another round of planning, spending, and constructing.
For now, calculate how much you will need to replace the roof. The last thing you want to do is set a ridiculously low budget for a luxurious roof replacement. Try the following ways to calculate the roof replacement costs:
- Online roofing calculator. New England Metal Roof and Floor2Roof are only some of the websites offering online roof calculator. Using a calculator is surely easier than calculating the roof replacement cost by yourself. However, you still need to acquire the necessary measurements that are needed for accurately calculating the cost. In the New England Metal Roof online calculator, you have to enter the ground roof dimension in feet, roofing pitch, relative roof difficulty, roofing material, and whether the roof is tear off. This calculator will only show the cost in US dollars. It is best that you read the guidelines for using the calculator. Many online calculators have side notes on what and what not to expect from them. They will also guide you on how to properly obtain the data so you can get more accurate estimation.
- Contact a professional estimator. There are some professionals who specialize on estimating the cost of certain projects like roof replacement. Ask friends or other people you know for some recommendations. This will cost you more compared to using calculator or estimating the cost yourself. But at least, you don't have to go over the headache of calculating everything. Professionals are more reliable than the usual math-hater, anyway.
- Calculate it yourself. Give your brain some exercise by calculating the roof replacement cost all by yourself. When calculating, you have to take the measurement of your roof. It is more than just measuring how wide or how long the roof is. Measure how deep you want your roof to be. Consider the materials that will be needed to replace the roof. Roofing materials vary in types and each type is priced differently from others.
Get ideas on the roof replacement cost depending on the materials you will use:
- Asphalt shingle roof. This costs around $680 to $3,700. The exact cost will depend upon the materials' quality and other expenses like professional installation and the house's location.
- Wood shingles. This costs from $6,800 to $20,000. The only advantage of wood roof is its beauty and cool ambiance. However, this material is very prone to fire and won't last as long as other roofing materials.
- Tile roof. This costs $2,000 to up to $60,000, depending on the kind. Basic tiles are cheaper compared to custom tiles. Although more expensive, this roof is more durable and resistant to fire and insects.
- Metal roof. This costs from $5,000 to $40,000. The cheapest metal roof is steel. Aluminum is more expensive but not as expensive as the copper roof. Whatever type, metal roof is always great for its durability, lightweight, and resistance to fire and rotting.
- Slate roof. This costs from $11,000 to up to $120,000. The natural slate tiles are more expensive than the synthetic ones. But both are long-lasting and beautiful.
Replacing the roof is always a pain in the pocketbook. You can still save some more money by considering other materials and doing the project yourself if you have the expertise.