Having an air compressor for your business, or sometimes even at home, is very handy as it can be used to perform different types of tasks as long as it is attached to an air tool or what we commonly know as a pneumatic tool. Such a heavy duty tool needs proper care and regular maintenance so read on to get a few tips to care for your air compressor.
- Drain the moisture from the air compressor tank daily. Make sure that you have gotten rid of the air pressure from the tanks by opening the drain valves. It is even suggested to drain the tank every 4 hours if possible, to make sure that the moisture won't cause rusting to the tank.
- Clean the air vents weekly. Remove any barriers on the vent to ensure that it works on its peak level. Also make sure that the air filters are cleaned regularly. Air filters keep the dirt and dust from your compressor pump, so if your working environment is also dusty, make sure to routinely clean the air filters.
- Check the safety release valve for leaks. Do this at least once a month. If the safety release valve does not have any leaks, then it should open and mitigate air pressure and settle properly after you close it.
- Check the electrical cords and hoses. This should also be done at least once a month. Make sure that the cords and hoses do not have any damage, and to have it replaced immediately. Do not use your air compressor until the damaged cord or hose have been replaced.
- Check the air compressor's engine oil level regularly. If you are using an engine and gas driven air compressor, make sure that you check the oil level always, and to also change the oil as recommended by the manufacturer. Make sure that you do not overfill the container whenever you change or add engine oils to prevent damage to the spark plugs, and to the engine air filter. The engine air filter also has to be cleaned at least once a week.
- Check your air compressor's overall performance. Performance checks should be done at least every six months. Check the gauges to ensure that the readings are correct.
When in doubt, have you friendly technician check your air compressor. Make sure that the maintenance schedule is followed for you to get its optimum performance.