Bonsai is a tree art that entails having to grow miniature versions of trees. There are several techniques used to make bonsai trees. You have to be trained in shaping the trees, repotting them and watering them. Bonsai trees need special care so that they can thrive and also improve the aesthetic value of the trees. There are a lot of trees that you can use for making a bonsai.
Here are some of the tips that you can use in choosing what type of tree you can use for your bonsai tree.
- Choosing the type of tree. Choosing the type of tree that you want to grow as a bonsai can depend on the final look that you want to achieve when it grows. There are different types of trees that look better when they are smaller and some of them are not too attractive when they are bonsais.
- Fir trees. Fir trees are best for bonsai if you want to achieve a beautiful plant for displaying purposes. If you are going to use bonsai inside your house, choosing fir trees can be a good choice for you. Some of the options that you have are alpine fir trees, silver fir trees and Korean fir trees.
- Oak trees. The best looking bonsai trees are made from the oak family. You can use northern red oak to have red leaves for your bonsai, chinkapin oak for a yellowish orange tinge and saw tooth oak for a deep green color.
- Pine trees. If you want a conical shaped bonsai tree, you can choose pine trees. This is very nice to look at especially during Christmas time when you can use your bonsai and make it little Christmas trees. Some varieties of pine trees that you can use are the mugho pine tree, American holly pine tree and the lodgepole pine tree.
- Maple trees. You can use maple trees if you want a nicely shaped leaf and also for beautiful colors of leaves. You can plant different types of maple trees for bonsai and display them in your garden to have a burst of color among the green background. Some of the best maple trees to use for bonsai are the red maple trees, sugar maple trees, Norway maple trees and the laceleaf maple trees.
- Research. If you are still having a hard time choosing the best type of tree that you can make into a bonsai, it will help if you research on the Internet and look at the different pictures of bonsai trees. Choose a tree that you are attracted to. Look at the shape and the color of the leaves. Research on what type of tree that is and you can choose that as your bonsai tree.
These are some of the tips you can use when you are choosing your own bonsai tree. Bonsai trees need a lot of care and attention. It will be better if you research on how to manage them and also how much water they need. Bonsai trees that are not well taken cared of will not last a long time.