Distressed cottage furniture is basically any furniture that is strategically painted in faded colors with dulled spots here and there. This creates an antique impression, an effective method for getting that rustic mood that you have always wanted. Choosing this kind of furniture can be easy as long as you know what look you are aiming for. To learn more about how to choose the ideal distressed cottage furniture, here are some quick and simple tips that you can follow.
- The first thing you need to do is to go to various flea markets, antique shops, furniture stores and garage sales to browse the kind of furnishings that you would like to put in your home. Remember, the furniture does not need to be old. Newer ones can be used to. If you do not like the color, you can always paint it yourself and make it look rustic by just scrubbing it with sand paper.
- It is important that you create a budget before purchasing anything. Spend your money wisely. You can buy newer, cheaper furniture and just make it look old by painting or scrubbing it. It may require hard work and long hours but it surely can save you lots of money doing this.
- Garage sales are just as efficient and cost effective in choosing the right distressed cottage furniture for you. You will be surprised to discover that you can have the best deals in a quality, truly old furniture. It would be a great idea to cruise down your neighborhood and check if there are any garage sales in the area.
- When selecting, make sure you purchase a furniture that is in good condition. Make sure that it is not damaged. It should be well-preserved. The simpler the shapes, the better. This will make your distressed furniture believable. Choosing a complex, modern shape can be confusing. Remember, the real old antiques are simple, mostly rectangular in shape. Surely, they do not build an octagon-shaped tables back in the 19th century.
- Choose earthly colors such as brown, dirty white and faded green. This will definitely make your furniture look older than it actually is. It is also important that you have matching colors for your tables and chairs. This way, it will give you and your guests a feel of the country lifestyle.
- It would greatly help you if you browse online and check some beautiful rustic designs that you can use. Pictures from the beach or a dining set from a countryside are examples that you can easily select. It can definitely add an exotic twist that can surprise your loved ones and friends.
- You can also find online distressed cottage stores. These sites usually provide pictures and are mostly reliable. Ebay and Craigslist are websites that are ideal for shopping eclectic and unique styles of furniture.
Just follow these easy and effective tips and you can never go wrong in choosing the right distressed cottage furniture that would best suit you. Painting it by yourself can be a bit hard but as long as you have your goal in mind, doing this can be really fun especially with the help of your friends and loved ones. Remember, do not over spend. There are a lot of cost-effective ways to acquire this kind of furniture so try not to waste your money with ridiculously expensive drawers! Good luck!