If you have a glass dining tabletop (whether it be oval, round or square) as part of your dining set or dinette set at home, it definitely is a challenge for you to clean it fully. This is because there are a lot of things to consider. Since the glass surface is transparent you have to be sure that both the table's underneath and top surface are clean. If your dining table is positioned close to a window, the natural light will emphasize the impurities on your glass surface. The next thing to consider is if it is framed in plastic, wood or metal since each of these has different types of interaction with the glass cleaner. Cleaning with anything acidic like ammonia or vinegar could damage the other materials. It will be easier to clean a table with a frameless glass sitting on top.
To make your glass table surfaces clean and shiny, just follow the instructions below.
- Prepare your materials. You need a lint-free cloth, a shaving brush, hot soapy water, a cup of water, a cup of rubbing alcohol, an empty spray container, a tablespoon of vinegar, Petroleum Jelly wipes and a multi-surface spray.
- By folding your lint-free cloth, you can use it to wash off the top and bottom of the tabletop with warm soapy water. Then, rinse it off with clean water. Afterwards, wipe both sides with a clean dry cloth.
- For a glass top that is framed in wood do not use a cleaner that can damage wood. Use multi-surface sprays or wipes intended for most dining room sets and furniture in your house. You can also separately clean the frame and the top with a different type of cleaner for each. Be very careful that the glass cleaner does not to touch any part of the wood. In the same way, the wood cleaner should not come into contact with the glass.
- Make a solution with the cup of water, a cup of rubbing alcohol and a tablespoon of vinegar. Note that the alcohol aids in making it dry faster, so that it won't leave any stains or streaks after wiping. Pour your solution in a spray bottle and spray it onto the glass surface. Now, you can wipe the table off with a lint-free cloth. You can use a shaving brush to clean some parts of the glass that have stubborn marks if needed.
- If the dirt cannot be removed with the above steps, try using an abrasive cleaner made for glass and all other hard surfaces such as Bar Keepers Friend. What's amazing is that this won't scratch your tabletop.
If your round or oval glass surface is clouded by mineral build up, you can clean it by spreading petroleum jelly or a denture cleaner on it and let it sit for a few hours. After that, you can wipe it off and then wash it with a small amount of soapy water.
Here's an added tip, you do not want to over saturate your lint-free cloths while cleaning your tabletop. This is because if they are soaked in a large amount of water, they will probably smear the cleaner and will then end up leaving streaks on your glass surface. Your glass dining table should now be sparkling clean and ready to set a great dinner on!