Levolor is a brand that provides the most beautiful and durable styles in window blinds. This is probably the reason why most people use this brand to decorate their homes. The only problem is that the products that are in line with this brand can be quite pricey even for the financially adequate homes. Nevertheless, if you made the investment, you will want to ensure that the money you spend will not go to waste. This is where regularly cleaning and knowing how to clean blinds made by Levolor becomes extremely important. Remember, the blinds from this brand come in various materials such as aluminum, vinyl, faux wood, and fabric. Each material has a specific cleaning requirement. Here are some tips on how to clean your Levolor blinds dependent on the material used.
- Prepare the area for cleaning. The best way to clean aluminum blinds is to first remove them from where they are hanging from. Once you remove the blinds, you will need to lay them down on some type of work table. Since these blinds can be rather delicate, you will want to ensure that no chemical or substance gets on the blinds. This being the case, you will need to cover the work table you chose with some kind of plastic or fabric. You may use a plastic trash bag as well.
- Vacuum the blinds. Remove the blinds and place them on the work table. Whip out your vacuum, connect it to the power, and start sucking the dust and dirt out of the blinds. If you do not have a vacuum cleaner, then consider using a feather duster instead. Whichever is the case, make sure to dust off the entire area of the blinds.
- Clean the blinds mechanism. The mechanism to open and close the blinds needs to be cleaned as well. These are typically made of metal. Basically, you can run a damp cloth to clean this. Lubricate the mechanism after with oil or through a spritz of WD-40. After all this, return and reinstall the blinds.
Fabric, Faux Wood, Vinyl, and Other Material Types
- Set the blinds. In order to properly clean the blinds with these types of material is to first set it so that it is opened and hanging down. This means that the blinds are tilted inward. At this point, you will want to dust the blinds with a nice feather duster or at least a broom. You may use a vacuum cleaner as well.
- Clean the blinds. While dusting may do the trick most of the time, sometimes you will need to do a much deeper and detailed cleaning. This will involve removing the blinds and laying them on a well covered work table. Once that is done, get a sponge dampened with the specific cleaning solution. For faux wood, use warm water. For fabrics, vinyl, and others, use a commercial cleaner or a soapy solution using mild detergent and water. Wipe the blinds with the sponge and allow it to dry. For the mechanism, use a damp cloth and lubricate it before installing it once again.
General and deep cleaning should be done at least once a month. Dusting can and should be done daily. With this cleaning process, your Levolor blinds will always seem as good as new.