Tempur-Pedic mattress pads are designed to protect a mattress and also ensure that the body does not get uncomfortably warm. Using these pads lengthen the lifespan of the mattress as well. When cleaning this type of mattress pad, it is not advisable to use a washing machine because it is made of foam that can easily tear or get damaged when washed with a machine. Aside from that, it does take a long time to dry up because foam can easily absorb so much liquid. The pad cover, however, can be washed on your washing machine.
Urine stains are fairly common in mattresses or mattress pads caused by children who have little accidents, sick or elderly patients who may have some difficulty in controlling their bladder, or even your pets at home. Here are some suggestions to follow when dealing with urine stains on the Tempur-Pedic mattress pad:
- Start off by removing the pad cover from the pad. Simply unzip and place the pad cover on your washing machine. Set on the delicate cycle and wash with a laundry detergent. There are some available brands that actually specify their capability of dealing with urine stains that you can use.
- Using paper towels, pat the urine-stained area of the pad if it’s still wet continue to do so until much of the liquid is absorbed or until your paper towels do not come up as wet with urine. It is also advisable for you to use white paper towels for this purpose to avoid staining your mattress pad with any colored stains that may be caused by dyes from colored paper towels.
- Bath towels can be used as well for soaking up urine in your mattress pad. Place your towel over the affected area of the pad. Press down with your palm firmly to absorb urine liquid starting from the top and going all the way down. You may have to repeat this process several times until your towel is no longer soaked with urine. Change your towels each time you start over.
- Allow the pad to dry completely. These may take several hours. Exposing it to direct sunlight outdoors not only speeds up the drying process but also helps in lessening the unwanted odor. To completely eliminate odor, place baking soda over the mattress pad. You may have to do these a few times depending on how deep urine stain has penetrated into the mattress pad.
- Another effective means of removing urine stains is with the use of a paint stain remover that is enzyme-based. This works well with human urine stain as well. Spray the solution on the stained area, saturating but not soaking it up. Allow to stand for a minute or so. Dab with paper towels until liquid is completely absorbed. Allow mattress to dry up for several hours.
Although cleaning up urine stains may be a bit difficult, the use of mattress pads are still very much advisable, not only for its benefits to the one using them, but to also help in safeguarding the mattress, which is even more complicated to clean up.