A complete kitchen would always have a waffle iron available for cooking those wonderful waffles for breakfast. They are quite easy to use and do not create messes as long as they are properly handled. The famous Belgian waffles are made from waffle iron models that create thicker waffles. This small kitchen appliance comes in a variety of shapes and sizes to produce any type of waffle you prefer. It is important to know how to use the waffle iron correctly to create perfect waffles, and just as important to know the right way of cleaning it properly to ensure that it lasts longer and functions the way it was meant to. Follow the directions listed below as your guidelines in the right way to clean your waffle iron:
- First of all, it is important to know what should not be done when cleaning your waffle iron. You must not immerse it in water. Before starting to clean, wait until your waffle iron has cooled off. Do not clean while it is still hot. Do not use abrasive materials like scouring pads, steel wool, or other coarse items to scrub it. Cleaning it with knives or other pointed objects is a no-no as well. These methods can damage your waffle iron permanently.
- Check out your owner’s manual too as they may have certain methods in maintaining and cleaning their specific brand.
- Start off by wiping off excess oils left on the baking plates using a clean and dry paper towel. Using a soft-bristled brush, gently remove particles of crumbs on the plates. Should batter be stuck on the plates and tougher to remove, place a bit of cooking oil on the batter, leave on for around 5 minutes, and scrub off gently with a paper towel or a dampened (not wet) cloth. You can also prevent your baking plates from stains by wiping them thoroughly with your paper towel.
- For the outer part of the waffle iron, clean up by lightly scrubbing with a damp cloth.
- Always ensure that your waffle iron is completely free from any moisture before putting it away.
- Unless specified by the manufacturer of your particular brand, cooking sprays must not be used on your baking plate. This is especially true of the modern waffle irons that are non-stick. Cooking sprays create build-ups on your appliance and ultimately damage it. Soaps and other detergents must not be used either. They destroy non-stick surfaces of baking plates.
- Certain types of baking plates are removable and can probably be placed on your dishwasher or dipped in water. However, it is very important that you study your owner’s manual to make sure you are cleaning them the way they are supposed to be cleaned. Follow the instructions carefully.
As in all kitchen appliances, proper care and maintenance ensure that they function well and last for a long time. Make it a habit to clean up and properly store them after each use and they will serve you well.