This may be the stuff that detective and mystery novels are made of, but if you think about it, creating a secret wall panel in your home may be one of the most practical and realistic things you can do. This is especially true if you live in a neighborhood where you feel you need to take extra security measures to protect your valuables. So if you’re looking to find out how to create a secret wall panel in your home, here are some steps to help you out:
- Prepare your tools. Have the following at hand: a saber saw, pencil, tape measure, 3-inch deck screws, drywall screws, two center hung pivot hinges, nails, superglue, nails, 3 pieces of 2x4 inch wood, and 3 foot square piece of paneling.
- Determine the best spot for a secret panel in your house. The main guideline you should follow here is to make sure that the wall where you want to place your secret panel doesn’t have pipes, wires or other obstructions. It’s also best that you place the wall at an unobtrusive corner of the wall, where its edges could be hidden, or someplace where you could hang a picture frame over it so that the edges would be concealed. Another very important thing to remember is to make sure that the wall you cut through is not load bearing, since if it is essential in supporting the ceiling, cutting some parts of it off may impair the wall’s ability to carry the load. Also, consider the thickness of the wall. You have to ensure that the panel you create will be about ¼ less thick than the wall.
- Determine how big you’d want your secret panel to be. A good size is at 3 feet by 3 feet. The paneling you will need (see tools at number 1) will depend on how big you want your secret panel.
- Create a hole in the wall. Measure out the perimeter based on how big you’ve determined your secret panel to be. As mentioned, the thickness of the wall should also be your prime consideration. Use a measuring tape, pencil and ruler and make sure that you are penciling in exact dimensions. Use a saber saw to cut through the wall and a spirit level to make sure that you are cutting straight across.
- Create a frame for your secret panel. To ensure that your wall panel is secure, create a frame using the 2x4 inch wood. Cut out four 3 feet long pieces of wood from these, and screw them onto the panel to make the frame.
- Create a door to the panel. Create a door that will fit the panel. Use wood for this purpose. Cut wood that will cover the panel, making sure to allot some extra space. This extra length is where you will screw it onto the frame to fit over the panel. Use the prepared screws for this step.
- Conceal the secret wall panel. To ensure that your panel will indeed be secret, make sure to paint over the cover the same color as the rest of the wall. Also, you could choose to put over a picture frame over this spot to conceal the edges of the panel.
There you have it! These are some easy steps to create a secret panel in your wall. Good luck!