Acrylic crackle painting is a type of painting that is usually created on old wooden panels. It consists of a chaotic display of colors set in a surface full of cracks, hence creating a rustic tone over a magnificent design. It does look intriguing on so many levels. However, complicated it seems, it’s actually easy to create. All you have to do is acquire all the necessary tools and materials. This includes acrylic crackle paint, acrylic crackle paste, acrylic gel, putty knife, paper towels and the like. Read on to learn more about how to make this masterpiece.
- Get an ordinary wooden panel and put a white acrylic primer. Thoroughly dry it for 12 to 24 hours. While waiting, go to the nearest handyman, hardware or paint store and buy acrylic crackle paint and acrylic crackle paste. Make sure you buy at least four, differently colored paint.
- Put a one-inch thick acrylic crackle paste at the center of your wooden panel. Spread it evenly until the whole panel is covered. You can use different kind of tools like the spatula, a knife or a pair of scissors. You can even use your credit card! This trick will make the cracks on your wooden surface more realistic.
- Get the four acrylic paint that you just bought. Prepare 4 little containers. Put one teaspoon of each paint into a container. You can choose any color of paint as long as it blends well together.
- Look for a clean spray bottle and fill it up with water. Thoroughly wet the crackled surface. With a wide brush, generously put paint on the wet panel. Have fun and be creative! Express yourself, draw some patches, dashes of different shapes, etc.
- Spray the surface again with water. Using a clean paper towel, blot the extra paint that you can see on the panel then go crazy with your acrylic crackle paint again. Repeat this process until the color of in between cracks are white.
- Dry it quickly by using a hair dryer. Do not let it stay wet for too long.
- Finish it with art by using a complete set of paint colors. Experiment by using different types of brushes, sponges, toothbrush and paper towels. Dab and blotch colors in random areas.
- When you are fully satisfied with your painting, let it dry for 24 hours.
- Prepare a self-leveling acrylic gel. As soon as the panel is dry, put the gel into the surface and let it roll in between the cracks. You can make it thinner by adding six ounces of water. If you want to have an opalescent effect, add four drops of Interference Blue acrylic paint. Mix it well and apply it to the painting.
- Ensure that the complete surface area is covered with acrylic gel. You can use a knife or a spatula to help spread it. If you want to add some items like glittered shells, pearls, etc. Make sure you attach it on the panel while the gel is still wet.
- Put the paint in a flat surface table lying flat. Let it dry for 24 hours. You can display your acrylic crackle painting after.
This will truly bring out the artist in you! This is also a great way to de-stress yourself. Your loved ones and friends will be surprised when they see this extraordinary masterpiece. Wow them with your skills by simply following these steps. Good luck!