Having plants in your home in garden is a wonderful way to enliven a space. If you have plants, placing them in terra cotta pots is a great way to keep it mobile or to have an instant garden if you don’t have a yard. However, if you are stuck with an ugly terra cotta pot, don’t despair! Don’t throw it away. Instead, lead your creative juices flowing and decorate it.
Here are some ideas for you to try.
- Clean it. If your pot has been around for a while or if you leave it outdoors, chances are, it’s earned it due share of moss and mud. Give it a good scrub with water. Avoid using harsh chemicals on the pot since you want to protect the enamel on it. Also, you don’t want to kill the plant that’s in the pot by scrubbing the pot with harsh abrasives. To make your job a little easier, you may choose to sand the pot down with sandpaper. This will remove any dirt stuck on the pot, plus remove the dirtiest layer. Once your pot looks new again, you may choose to leave it alone or take it another step.
- Give it a new color. Why not paint the pots in all white? You can also choose another solid color in keeping with the overall color scheme of your home. You can use a bottle of spray acrylic paint. Just make sure to do this in a well-ventilated area. If there is still a plant in the pot that you cannot transfer in the meantime, cover the plant with some newspaper or plastic to protect it from the paint.
- Paint details on it. Another option is to bring out the acrylic paint and make decorations on it. This is a fun activity that even your children may enjoy doing. Use your regular watercolor brushes and draw vines, flowers and other details on the pot. Let your imagination lead the way! Why not paint the background a dark blue and paint yellow stars on the pot? Invite the good insects in your home by drawing a ladybug, caterpillar and butterfly on the pot. It’s whimsical and fun!
- Cover it. For the holidays, glam up your terra cotta pots by wrapping it up in some colored foil. Red and gold give it an instantly festive look! Or get a floral designed sheet of paper and wrap the pot, securing it with a jaunty bow. You can buy these supplies at craft stores.
- Stick some whimsy on it. Draw the attention away from the pot by placing a pinwheel on the soil. If you have small figurines, make a home for it on the soil of the pot. Better yet, put a flower bearing plant on the pot so that you notice the blooms instead of the pot that it’s on.
Terra cotta pots are wonderful for housing plants. These pots are
sturdy, durable and are able to hold various types of plants, depending
on the size. If you find it ugly, these are ways to make it beautiful.
Keep an open mind and approach it with an artistic eye. Try these
creative ideas and you may find that your once ugly pot is now your
favorite garden feature!