Do not proceed with a patio project without a layout for the steps. Without any kind of plan, your project can turn out to be a failure and waste in the end. Hence, before you start building your patio steps, make sure you prepare a layout for the project.
A layout for your task will always make every step of the project an easy one for you. If you don't have something to look at to consult every now and then in the progress of your project, chances of making mistakes will always be higher. Therefore, take some time to make a layout of the patio steps before starting the project. Here, check out these steps on how you can draw a sketch plan for the steps of your patio:
- Define your yard. Identify a good spot in your yard where you want to position the patio steps. Check out not only the hills and the slopes but also the consistency of the ground. This is for you to find the best location for the project.
- Assess the land. When you draw your plans for the patio step, assess the places where you want the project to be constructed. For instance, the steps must be positioned in a place where the ground is sturdy and solid. This is to make sure that the stairs will not move or even sink through the years. The location must also be easily accessible such as grounds not hidden right behind a huge tree. This is especially true if you intend to use the steps as an added accessory for the patio more than just being a functional addition to the space.
- Grab a graph paper. Though you can use other kinds of paper for this task, it is best to use graph paper for this purpose. This is because the square grids of the paper will help you maintain a neat layout for your patio project.
- Sketch the area. At this point, there is no need yet to make any measurements, as this is simply the initial drawing. Sketch the layout of the whole patio and outline the perfect location for the steps. Though this is an initial layout, it is important that your sketch is near the final plan already.
- Determine the right measurements. This time, know the exact measurements of the steps such as their width and length. Take note that there is no rule in terms of measurements. The width and the length of the patio steps will always depend on your preferences. However, make sure that the steps are wide and long enough that people can easily walk on them unless you simply intend the steps for decoration purposes alone.
- Reflect the measurements on the sketch. Once the measurements are finalized, add them onto the sketch. If you are after the neatness of the sketch, it is a good idea to draw a new layout with the measurements already reflected on it.
A sketch of the layout of your patio steps will always be helpful in the
success of your project. Plus, it will make the whole process of
building the steps a lot easier for you. Hence, despite being time
consuming, draw your patio steps layout. You will be thankful that you
did it in the end.