Keeping carpets clean are much more difficult than getting them dirty. Area rugs are impossible to wash because it would be very difficult to dry them and molds and mildews might accumulate in the process. A method used for cleaning them is by dry cleaning. But professional dry cleaning can cost so much and it would be far more practical if you do the dry cleaning by yourself. Dry cleaning is a process for cleaning clothes and other textiles without involving water; instead, you use chemical solvents to clean them. Mostly, tetrachloroethylene is the chemical used for dry cleaning.
You can follow these steps to start dry cleaning your rugs by yourself:
- Gather your materials. You will need a host dry carpet cleaner, a vacuum cleaner and a broom. If host dry carpet cleaner is not available in your area, you can use other chemical-based dry carpet cleaner. But host dry carpet cleaner would be better to use because it is a low-moisture cleaner and because of that you will not have to wait for your carpet to dry.
- Vacuum the rug. Vacuum well the rug and cover the entire surface. If you only want to clean a small area on the rug, just vacuum the area that you want to clean.
- Sprinkle Host Dry Carpet Cleaner on the surface. How much you are going to sprinkle will depend on the area that you want to clean. If you want to clean the entire surface of the rug, you can sprinkle host dry carpet cleaner to the whole surface of the rug. However, if you want to only clean a smaller part of the rug, just sprinkle on the part that you want to clean.
- Work on cleaning your carpet. Brush the carpet. If you want to clean the entire surface of the carpet, make sure to brush and cover all the surface of the carpet. If, however, you only want to clean a small part of the carpet, just brush the part of the carpet that you sprinkled with host dry carpet cleaner.
- Leave the cleaner on the carpet. You can leave the cleaner to work on your carpet for at least an hour. This will allow the cleaner to kill the bacteria and clean the stains on your carpet.
- Replace the bag of your vacuum. Throw away the contents of the bag after vacuuming the rug before the application of host dry carpet cleaner.
- Vacuum again your rug. After leaving the host dry carpet cleaner for an hour to work on your area rug, vacuum the powders very well. Make sure that the rug will be safe from chemicals and that you don’t leave anything behind.
Your area rug should now be clean without your worrying about having to
dry your wet rug or paying a lot of money for professional dry cleaning.
Your rug will now be as good as new and safe for your kids to play at.
This way, you saved a lot of money and the health of your family.