A swimming pool is a nice place for cooling from the heat. However, sooner or later you have to drain your swimming pool so that you will be able to clean the tiles as well as check if there are parts that need to be repaired. Emptying a swimming pool should only be done a few times in a year. It is not advisable to always empty your swimming pool. If you want to drain your swimming pool, you must identify first if your pool is a sunken pool or an aboveground pool since there are different techniques in draining swimming pools.
Below is a step-by-step guide on how to empty a swimming pool:
For a sunken pool:
- If you plan to empty your pool, you must not add chlorine and other chemicals into the water a week before the draining. The chemicals will only be wasted since you plan to drain the water anyway.
- Locate the drain in your swimming pool. It is usually located at the sidewalls of the swimming pool near the motor pump.
- Attach the hose to its right place in the drain. You may check the manual guide on how to attach the hose if you have one. You have to decide if you want to drain the water on your lawn or just straight to the canal.
- Turn on the drain pump. If you drain the water on your lawn, you have to check if it your lawn is already filled with water to avoid mini-flooding. Wait a few minutes until the water is seeped by the soil before continuing to drain. If you drain it straight to the canal, you also have to check if the canal is overflowing or not. If it is, you have to wait for it to subside first before continuing the draining so as not to disturb your neighbors.
- Do procedure number 4 until the water in the pool becomes empty.
For an aboveground pool:
- Refrain from adding chemicals to you swimming pool a week before draining the pool.
- Using an electric pump, attach the hose in its correct place.
- Turn on the electric pump and drain the water. Be careful to check if the water is causing mini-flooding in your backyard. Let the water be seeped first by the soil before continuing to empty the pool.
- Repeat procedure until the water is drained and the pool is already empty.
You may do this yourself if you are confident that you can do, but if not, it is better to call someone who is more experienced to do the job. Emptying a swimming pool can be dangerous if you do not know how to do it correctly.
You may also refill the pool as soon as you are done cleaning it and you have already checked if your pool has been damaged since it is also not advisable to leave a swimming pool empty for a long period of time.